take out "p." and "pp." in citation style

I’m really new to endnote and i’m using endnote X2 with office 2008 for Mac. 

I’m using the harvard style but my supervisor insists that no “p.” or “pp.” show up in the intext citation. So, I’m looking to have my intext citation appear as (Jones 2006, 56-57). harvard style uses the p. and pp. in intext citations (Jones 2006, pp. 56-57). If anyone knows how to change this I would greatly appreciate it.

thanks!

In short, remove “p.^pp.” prefix from Citation Template. It should be there preceding Cited Page.

My Harvard style, which is included in Endnote, doesn’t have the p.^pp. prefix so somebody should have modified it.

If you don’t understand what are the Citation Template or Cited Page, please let me (us) know.

Best,

Hi,

I am using a customized output for the intext citation that looks like this:

Author (|Year|, Cited Pages|)

The only problem I have is with multiple authors in the intext citation that looks like this:

McTaggart and Kemmis (1988, 27);Richards and Lockhart (2000, 12)

Is there a way I can modify the script above to make this same example looks all between brackets like the following example to make it match the Harvard system I am using?

(McTaggart and Kemmis,1988: 27; Richards and Lockhart, 2000: 12)

Thanks and appreciate any tips,

Horizon

Hi again,

Could anybody help on my previous post. I badly need a solution for that problem.

Thanks in advance.

It would have made sense to create a new thread for this, as it is totally unrelated to the topic line.

I am not sure what you are asking , you customized the output and now you want the output to be in the other form… You have to do one or the other.  either (Author, Year, Cited Pages) or the format you have below.  You might want to look at this thread, where the problem is discussed.  I think there have been other threads and suggestions, but I couldn’t locate them

@horizonseen wrote:

Hi,

I am using a customized output for the intext citation that looks like this:

Author (|Year|, Cited Pages|)

The only problem I have is with multiple authors in the intext citation that looks like this:

McTaggart and Kemmis (1988, 27);Richards and Lockhart (2000, 12)

Is there a way I can modify the script above to make this same example looks all between brackets like the following example to make it match the Harvard system I am using?

(McTaggart and Kemmis,1988: 27; Richards and Lockhart, 2000: 12)

Thanks and appreciate any tips,

Horizon

Message Edited by Leanne on 06-06-2009 09:11 AM

Hi Leanne,

Thanks for the tips. I now reverted back to the main Harvard template. However, by doing this I experience a different problem which is having the author included in the brackets: (author, year: page) not author (year:page).

I also  realized that this is a common problem in endnote and thought there should be a solution other than wasting hours manually modifying my in-text citations. If anybody else found alternative solutions, please do share them here.

Thanks

Perhaps if you gave us a textual example of what you are trying to achieve, we might be able to help.  If the two author situation is the rare case, then you might be able to put the author name in the prefix manually?  If the single author outside the brackets is the rare case, you just type the author name and then hide it in the citation.  No matter which way around, it would require manually editing the citation, even if it were some sort of option in endnote to put the author outside or inside the brackets?  Good product, but not yet clairvoyant?