Text notes in bibliography

In chemistry journals it is extremely common to have a text note preceed a composite citation, or even to appear in the middle of it, such as:

"For a review, see: (a) A.Alpha, B.Beta journal1; for recent examples see: (b) C.Gamma journal2; (c) D.Delta journal3.

Is there anyway of doing this in endnote? (I am using version X5)

Adding notes as numbered entries in the bibliography works smoothly, but it does not seem possible to fuse them with citations.

What output style are you using?

Currently the chemical communications style, but the Angewandte Chemie as well as ACS styles doesnt seem to behave differently.

Bump

@ransborg wrote:

In chemistry journals it is extremely common to have a text note preceed a composite citation, or even to appear in the middle of it, such as:

"For a review, see: (a) A.Alpha, B.Beta journal1; for recent examples see: (b) C.Gamma journal2; (c) D.Delta journal3.

The simplest method might be to insert each citation separately then manually type-in the note for each citation. (Or pls. provide further info.) So for example, the initial sentence (with typed-in text and three inserted citations - which ACS style inserts as a bibliographic superscript number) appears as:

For a review, see: 1; 2; 3

…then type-in each note so the final sentence appears as:

For a review, see: (a) A.Alpha, B.Beta journal1; for recent examples see: (b) C.Gamma journal2; (c) D.Delta journal3

Thank you very much for your response.
I might not have been fully clear; it is in the bibliography I need the comments inserted. For the actual citation your suggestion should work beautifully.

But I would like it to just be a number in the text, and then in the bibliography say 1) For a review, see: (a) A.Alpha, B.Beta journal1; for recent examples see: (b) C.Gamma journal2; (c) D.Delta journal3.

Thanks for the clarification and apologies for my mis-interpretation. Unfortunately, I can’t think of a way to automate the process in a way that accounts for including a note in the bibliography so it appears in a specified place within the bibliography while also suppressing the bibliography’s numerical-sort display.

Perhaps the simplest method is once the document is finished, make a back-up copy, then convert the original document to text which removes EndNote’s field codes. Then go to the bibliography section, locate the portion where you want to include a note then manually type-it in.

Thank you very much for looking at it again.

That solution was also the only thing I could come up with, but it is a bit frustrating to have to keep track of where you want to put every comment.

None the less, I guess that is how it has to be done until the option is one day included :slight_smile:

Thank you for your time.