There is a 2009 update to the MLA Style.

When will Endnote X.1 update this? If they have already done this then how come when I click update my version it states there are no new versions. Im taking a research paper class and I need the most recent style. Please help.

1 Like

The 2009 update to the MLA Style is really not an update to the Style Guidelines it is an update to the 7th version of the MLA Handbook for Writers of Research Papers.  This handbook is a guide mostly used by high schools and colleges, because it gives a step-by-step tutorial on writing a research paper in the MLA style.

The 2008 update to the MLA Style Manual was incorporated into our latest style for the MLA which is dated  5/16/2008.  You can link to a copy of the style here so that you can update your style acoordingly.  Just agree to the license agreement, then type the word MLA in the search window.  When the style results come up, click the “download” button next to the MLA style, and save it in your “Styles” directory in EndNote.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions about updating or using your new MLA style.

Sincerely,

Cheryl Rodriguez-

Manager-Content Files

1 Like

Cheryl, I couldn’t find the 5-18-08 dated style for PC anyway. I was writing this as your reply arrived.(added in Edit: but TF-E MLA looks closer to the new guidelines… I am not sure about the “Print.” looking like a field with the non-breaking space and | though.)

According to the MLA website, it doesn’t get published until tomorrow, but http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/557/15/  summarizes the major changes. 

Users will have to decide if they want the medium in a field or to depend on using a specific reference type if it is Print or Web (or other).  Otherwise the major change is that everything that used to be underlined, will be italicized, which makes sense and they did away with the continuous pagination (which Endnote couldn’t cope with anyway).  

I took a stab, assuming if it wasn’t electronic it was Print, but I didn’t define every ref type as one or the other.  Just the biggies.  I am not sure about the droping the URL.  Also, there is a need to specify abbreviations for some web things, if there is no publisher, no date  or no pages given, that will presumably have to go in those fields to work right. 

Message Edited by Leanne on 03-09-2009 03:32 PM
MLA 7th.ens (70.2 KB)

1 Like

Hi,

Yes the style didn’t get updated to the website for some reason and I have just made sure that its in the vault.  

That print thing is showing up in the manual, so we updated the style with it after the intial formatting changes we made, at the request of T&F.  It think at this point the user can edit that out of the style if their site doesn’t wish to use it, but for now we’re going to include it. 

I’ve updated the website with the files that are supposed to be there, but the database dates on the files will not be udpated till my web guy can get in there and fix them.  When the user clicks to download, though they’ll get the right style.

Thanks Leanne,

Cheryl

1 Like

P.S.  My son in High School uses the MLA guide and I have been teaching him to use Endnote at home.  He LOVES it!  Downloads his books from Library of Congress and pushes the buttons to insert citations (with cited pages) and generate the bibliography. 

1 Like

We have produced our own EndNote style for the new edition of MLA. It can be downloaded from our website.

On that page you will see a link to the notes explaining how to use it. The need to include a medium for all references presents some new challenges.

1 Like

@leanne wrote:
P.S.  My son in High School uses the MLA guide and I have been teaching him to use Endnote at home.  He LOVES it!  Downloads his books from Library of Congress and pushes the buttons to insert citations (with cited pages) and generate the bibliography. 

How about teaching him how to use INDEX MEDICUS to do bibliographic search in the library?? Just joking…

My kids using Adobe Illustrator to make line drawings, one day asked me about Stedler caligraphic pens and curve rulers in my box, and said “What the heck is this?” Well, they know how to search things in Google and Wikipedia, but don’t know how to find old books in the library. Appreciation to new tools come only after hard days with old tools.

Best wishes to all,

1 Like

On the weblink you gave,  I only see a 3rd edition MLA? 

@johneast wrote:

We have produced our own EndNote style for the new edition of MLA. It can be downloaded from our website.

On that page you will see a link to the notes explaining how to use it. The need to include a medium for all references presents some new challenges.

1 Like

John, I only see the MLA 3rd edition there – perhaps I need to clear my cache (but I did and it didn’t seem to make a difference).

The definitive guide to the MLA style is the MLA Style Manual. The 3rd edition was published last year.

The chapters on referencing in that manual are reprinted in the more basic MLA Handbook. The 7th edition of the Handbook has just been published.

I’ll amend the entry on our EndNote Styles page to make it clear that the output style corresponds to both these publications.

1 Like