Title field disambiguation problem

I’m having trouble using the following function: ‘When using the short form, include the title field only when needed to disambiguate a citation’

My Endnote CWYW is correctly using the long form to reference texts as footnotes in the first instance.

The trouble emerges when it adopts the short form for subsequent footnotes. If I have not yet cited the second text from an author, Endnote/CWYW assumes that it does not need to disambiguate through the Title field. 

For example, my first footnoted reference to the following text is correct:

1. Giorgio Agamben, Homo Sacer: Sovereign Power and Bare Life(Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press, 1998), p. 198.

I would then like the second footnote to look as follows:

1. Agamben, Homo Sacer, p. 200.

This is because my third footnote is by the same author:

3. Giorgio Agamben, The Use of Bodies: Homo Sacer IV, 2, trans. by Adam Kotsko (Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press, 2015), p. 84.

Footnote 4 should (and does) look like:

1. Agamben, The Use of Bodies, p. 85.

Ordinarily, I would like the references to previously-cited texts to be written _without _the title:

5. Cynthia Marshall, ‘Wound-man: Coriolanus, gender, and the theatrical construction of interiority’, in Feminist Readings of Early Modern Culture_,_ ed. by Valerie Traub, M. Lindsay Kaplan, and Dympna Callaghan (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1996), pp. 93-118 (p. 109).

1. Marshall, p. 110.

So, my footnotes currently (and incorrectly) look like this. NB the problem here is with footnote 2:

1. Giorgio Agamben, Homo Sacer: Sovereign Power and Bare Life(Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press, 1998), p. 198.

2. Agamben, p. 199.

3. Giorgio Agamben, The Use of Bodies: Homo Sacer IV, 2, trans. by Adam Kotsko (Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press, 2015), p. 84.

5. Cynthia Marshall, ‘Wound-man: Coriolanus, gender, and the theatrical construction of interiority’, in Feminist Readings of Early Modern Culture_,_ ed. by Valerie Traub, M. Lindsay Kaplan, and Dympna Callaghan (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1996), pp. 93-118 (p. 109).

1. Marshall, p. 110.

I would like them to look like the following (difference emboldened):

2. Agamben , Homo Sacer ,_ _p. 199.

1. Marshall, p. 110.

I’m using X7 and Mac OS Microsoft Word 16.18 with CWYW.

Any help gratefully received! Thank you.

and what is your output style?  If it isn’t a default style, please zip into a file and attach to the email.  

It isn’t default, and I attach here.

Thanks for your help!

**CORRECTION: I am using Endnote X8.

MHRA edited.ens.zip (4.36 KB)

yes, it seems to only happen if it is the next citation?  By unchecking the box in the footnote template box - will fix that (see image), but it also repeats the short title for citations that don’t need it, if they are the only publication by that first author.  It only happens until you insert a footnote of a different work by the same author and then it is fine (even when you reuse that first citation later) as you point out (per author).  - It isn’t only if it is “ibid” – so messing with those settings didn’t seem to help.  

This is a bug, and I can only suggest that you manually fix it, by adding the short title and cited pages manually to the footnote after the citation and report the bug to tech support.  

Thanks, Leanne.

I agree, it does seem to be a bug. How can we get the Endnote team to fix it?

I’ve found another work around, which is as cumbersome as the one you suggested: listing all duplicated authors’ works at the beginning of the document as ‘Show in bibliography only’. But it’s untenable if I’ve got–as I do–many mupltiple texts from authors.

Thanks for your help.

Again @tmartin might see it here and report it, but I would also report it via the tech support site at Clarivate’s endnote.com (https://support.clarivate.com/Endnote/s/Product-or-technical-question?language=en_US)  )