Traveling library needs abstracts

I have created an output style that lists citations + abstracts. However, when I tried to use it with an exported traveling library, I discovered that the abstracts were missing. A little googling led me to discover that traveling libraries do not contain abstracts by design (along with Notes and another field). I’m curious about why that’s the case, but I also wonder if there’s a way around it. That is, can I somehow get an output that contains abstracts out of an exported traveling library?


This is by design - for two primary reasons:

  1. The EndNote Traveling Library is designed to allow users to share Word documents and re-format citations and bibliographies so just the core bibliographic data is stored as XML in the Word document.

  2. In our experience, the Word field codes are a bit fragile so we try to minimize the amount of data we put into them. This is why Abstract, Notes, and Figure/File Attachments data is excluded.

You could potentially move the Abstract data to another field before inserting the references into Word and then move it back to the “Abstract” field once exporting back to EndNote but I do not recommend this. This will likely get you into a situation where the field codes become corrupted.

But there may be another way to get to where you want to be if you describe a bit more of your goals and workflow.

Jason Rollins, the EndNote team

Your version of Endnote would also help Jason help you. :wink: