Two questions: import naming, and attachment name chainging

Hi. Two questions.

1] I have my preferences set to change imported PDF names to AUTHOR, YEAR. However this is not happening.  Any ideas?

2] Why can’t I change the name of an individual attachment in its entry? That optiion is always greyed out.

And while I’m at it, I wish I could selecet a bunvh of PDFs in a folder and import them. Why can’t I? Importing whole folder does not yeild the result I want.

Cheers,

Michael

Endote 7, Mac w/ Word 2016

Hello,

This may not work but have you tried changing to Endnote defaults and then trying Author Year again:

Try:

Edit<Preferences

PDF Handling - Endnote Defaults button (at bottom of screen), Apply, OK

Then Try selecting radio button for Author, Year again and trying to import

A reason why a group of PDFs are not importing is to consider whether they have a DOI (Digital Object Identifier).  This is what Endnote uses to create a reference entry.  Otherwise it will import a PDF with other fields blank.

You will find a DOI somewhere at the top of the article.

For example: DOI: 10.1080/07075332.2008.10415487

Let me know whether selecting Defaults works.

Thanks, but that didn’t work. I have those settings (and re-did them), but 1] the import4ed PDF is not put in the folder I indicated, and 2] there is no change to the name at ll. The import itself was fine, but none of those things happened.

For two, I really want to select several PDFs from a folder and import them all at once. I don’t think i can do that, canI?

Cheers,

Michael

@gilbert1111 wrote:

1] I have my preferences set to change imported PDF names to AUTHOR, YEAR. However this is not happening.  Any ideas?

2] Why can’t I change the name of an individual attachment in its entry? That optiion is always greyed out.

In response to your first question, are you manually importing single PDF files by going to the Endnote toolbar and selecting File > Import > File (then in the Import File pop-up dialog box specifying the import option as PDF)? If so, the PDF Auto Renaming Options setting will not be applied.

The PDF Auto Renaming Options works when you are are: 1) connected to an online database and running Endnote’s “Find Full Text” feature (to obtain PDFs or hyperlinks); or 2) using Endnote’s “Auto Import” feature which enables automatically importing one or more PDFs from a designated folder (refer to attached image).

As to your second question, sorry, but I don’t understand what you mean and need further explanation. If you’re trying to rename a PDF you can do so either from the Reference section of the layout window or by opening the Endnote record and scrolling down to the File Attachments field. In the File Attachments field right-click on the PDF file to display a submenu then select the PDF Rename option.

Thank you. That explains a lot.