Two reference lists in one word-document

Hi,

What is the trick of merging two reference lists in the same word document? The two lists appeared because our user had references from two libraries. Now the references are all in one library, but we can’t get the reference lists to merge (endNote1). This document is going to be published, so we need to have just one reference list.

@ellenh wrote:

What is the trick of merging two reference lists in the same word document? The two lists appeared because our user had references from two libraries. Now the references are all in one library, but we can’t get the reference lists to merge (endNote1). This document is going to be published, so we need to have just one reference list.

There should never be two lists, unless you are using X3 and a style that allows chapter/section lists. Make a copy of the current document.  If you still have both libraries, you should unformat - delete any remnant bibliographies and reformat.  or try deleting the bibliographies and reformatting. 

Remember,  If you didn’t reinsert from the combined library, the references inserted from the old library will still be pointing to that library (old record numbers) and unformatting/reformatting will trigger endnote to ask about each of them to match to the new library.     

Hi, a related question please…

I am using Endnote X.0.2 and writing a very long document.  Have just merged one Word document into another using ‘insert object’ tool in Word 2007 so the whole of the second Word document lands right where you want it in the first.

The problem is that the new single Word document has two reference lists at the bottom, both in their original form and in alpabetical order (so I can’t just delete the spaces between one and the other).

As I’ll be merging a fair number of chapters into one document and all with have references, can you advise how do to it without getting multiple sets of references?  (There will be duplications so ideally some kind of automatic or manual re-formatting would be needed).

Many thanks

I am not sure exactly how the insert object handling works in Word 2007 (and since I still use 2003, can’t check).  However,  I do see a note in the the help topic (at least in ENX3) "Creating a Bibliography from Multiple Documents (Microsoft Word) topic that says that “if you choose Word’s _Insert>File _command, and select the “Link” option to insert a document into the text, Endnote will _not _format the linked document when you format the main document.  The text from the linked dcoument will be skipped.”  Thus it sounds like you can’t do that.  

If you aren’t using the “link” option,  I recommend trying to reformat with the output style of your choice to see if it resolves the two lists into one. 

Alternatively, you should consider using the master document method described in the rest of that help topic above as an alternative.  

Thank you. I wasn’t using the ‘links’ option so I unformatted the citation  and then formatted the bibliography again (both using the shortcut add-in keys in Word rather than the main Endnote menu).  I did have to save the doc as an rtf first.

All of which was a bit complicated so thank you for the tip about the master document - I’ll do that in future.

This is tricky, but still has a way out. 

If you want this format:

blab blab blab

blab blab blab

blab blab blab

blab blab blab

References

list 1 (Native refs)

list 2 (English refs)

With each ref belong to list 1, put a “aa” on the first author. Then finally split  into two small lists. Remove the “aa”

You can have many sub-lists as you want.

Best