Unwanted commas between citations

Hi, I have a few refs by the same author and am citing them in my text together, however, they always come out with the same problem, e.g. (Jones, 2003, , 2004, , 2005) …there are extra commas between the dates. I have tried editing these out (just deleting them), but they pop right back in. Does anyone have a suggestion/solution please?

–Susani.

A couple of things come to mind:

1. First, have you checked the “Author Name” citation setting to see if there two commas appear in the “Separate these citations with” field?  (Go to the toolbar, select EDIT, OUTPUT STYLES, then the EDIT + name of the output style you’re using.

2. The output style’s options screen pops up.  In the left column, locate CITATIONS and just under it, click “Author Name”.

3. Locate the section that says “Consecutive Citations by the Same Author” and check that the option “Separate these citations with:” has only one comma in the adjacent box.

Second, if you’re using EndNote version 9 there was a problem with double commas appearing in the citations.  An update (9.0.1) was issued to correct the problem and is available at:

http://www.endnote.com/support/EN901_Win_updater.asp