Whether and /or how to STOP using cite while you write

I’ll try to be as clear and brief as possible.

I’m revising a  long ms. With many figures, charts, tables, maps, etc etc.  I’ve been using the most recent version of Endnote and the most recent version of Word for mac, right from the beginning, with only a couple minor hiccup along the way. I’ve got about 2,000 items in my EndNote library, about 40% of them with pdf files attached.

As of two days ago, Word has been crashing with great regularity. I’m saving every five seconds, but I still get caught out sometimes.

I ran disc repair, permissions repair, and every other utiltiy I have. I went into fontbook and did the same series of repairs. I made sure all my software and firmware was up to date.

Still crashing. . To pinpoint the problem, I extracted one chapter of the ms. and worked on it by itself. Crashing continued. I deleted all graphics, charts, etc. Still crashing. The only thing I left was the text itself, and footnotes. No luck.

Then I saved it as a plain text file, and from the plain text file I saved it as a Microsoft Word docx. I expected I would have to go through and redo the references and cites, but it all worked.

And the crashing continues.

I’m thinking it must be EndNote.  My choices are few, as I see it:

If there’s a version of EndNote for Windows 7, I could install bootcamp, set up windows, install both software packages, import all the files, and hope it all goes well.

I could stop using cwyw. It seems like this is the simplest and most logical way to proceed, as I don’t have the time to fiddle with Windows.  So here’s the real core question:

How do I STOP using cwyw without causing all kinds of problems throughout the ms.? Is there a protocol to do this? Has anyone done this? And if so, could you tell me about it? I’m not even sure how to use EndNote without cwyw. It must be possible. I hope.

Any suggestions very much appreciated.

Nobody? No clues at all? she said mournfully.

You know how everything goes wrong at once when a deadline is approaching? Well, that’s my situation in the here and now.

Today’s record: Word crashed 15 times. And I only used it for two hours.

I’m wondering if this is something technical support would be able to help me with.

Yes - I strongly recommend that you contact our Technical Support group. They are very knowledgeable and friendly and will do their best to help you with any EndNote issues - 800-336-447.

Jason Rollins, the EndNote team

As Jason said, do get with tech support.  In the meantime, you simply turn CWYW off by either unformating the document or by running reformat and on the third tab, hitting disable. (This is also where you need to re-enable CWYW)  If this is the only document you are having trouble with, this will turn it off for that document.  If you have other documents behaving the same way, you can turn it off for all NEW documents thru the CWYW preferences.

After having your refs in the curly bracketed form, run the remove endnote codes (on a copy) to remove any corrupted field information.  I don’t know if you have other fields you want to preserve, but if not you could instead run MS words remove field codes to clean up any potential corruption.  Finally, then copy everything except the last paragraph symbol (ctrl+* if they are showing in the document) to a new document.  

With CWYW off you can still insert citations, they just don’t automatically turn into the final version and get inserted into the bibliography.  To get that to happen, you run the format bibliography manually.  On large documents with lots of other embedded figures and tables, I always keep CWYW off.  Also I keep it off if I am sharing the document with other colleagues and they are making tracked changes and the like.  It is just a smaller, less corrupt-able way to share, especially if they may be using different versions of Word and Endnote than I am.  

If it is still crashing with CWYW off and with the citations in their curly bracketed form, it isn’t endnote that is causing the problem, it is a word problem.

do let us know how you get on.  

@greenery wrote:

How do I STOP using cwyw without causing all kinds of problems throughout the ms.? Is there a protocol to do this? Has anyone done this? And if so, could you tell me about it? I’m not even sure how to use EndNote without cwyw. It must be possible. I hope.

Also, can you tell us which versions of Word, Endnote and what operating system you are using, to ensure they are all compatible?