Wrong format in in-text citation (APA 7th)

Hello, 

I have the following paper (as cited by Endnote Online in the Ref section of the paper)

Andreato, L. V., Del Conti Esteves, J. V., Ferreira Julio, U., Leme Gonçalves Panissa, V., Hardt, F., Franzói de Moraes, S. M., & Franchini, E. (2017). Physical performance, time-motion, technical-tactical analyses, and perceptual responses in Brazilian jiu-jitsu matches of varied duration. Kinesiology, 49(1), 30-40.

For some reason, the in-text citation appears like this (Andreato, Del Conti Esteves, et al., 2017) instead of (Andreato et al., 2017). 

I deleted and re-enter the citation multiple times as well as deleted and re-written the authors’ names manually, but nothing seems able to fix it. 

Thank you in advance,

Charalampos.

Is there a second paper cited with Andreato as the first author?  If so, are the two entries exactly the same for that author (best to copy and paste one to the other).  

Also if there are two Andreato papers in 2017, it is “diambiguating” them by including a second author, per APA guidelines.  

1 Like

Hello Leanne,

Thank you a lot for your response. 

There are 5 papers from the same first author, and all entries are written exactly the same.

There are indeed 2 papers from the same first author the same year (2017):

Andreato, L. V., Del Conti Esteves, J. V., Ferreira Julio, U., Leme Gonçalves Panissa, V., Hardt, F., Franzói de Moraes, S. M., & Franchini, E. (2017). Physical performance, time-motion, technical-tactical analyses, and perceptual responses in Brazilian jiu-jitsu matches of varied duration. Kinesiology, 49(1), 30-40.

and 

Andreato, L. V., Lara, F. J. D., Andrade, A., & Branco, B. H. M. (2017). Physical and physiological profiles of Brazilian jiu-jitsu athletes: a systematic review. Sports medicine-open, 3(1), 1-17. 

So, I guess that the latter observation would be the case. I haven’t noticed that APA guidelines had that, as it is the first time I am using this style and I have probably missed that detail! 

Thank you a lot for your help!

Yes, APA doesn’t use 2017a and 2017b like some other styles; it distinguishes them by adding authors until they are unique.  

1 Like