X2 Mac error message

Hi,

since I have to use Windows and Endnote X3, I copy my X3 (PC) library file and pdf folder in my X2 Mac folder which is Applications/Endnote X2.

After that, all default Style-/Connection-/Filter entries in the preferences are set to new folders somewhere else where they are not existing. I can change that manually. But: when I change something in my selfmade output file, I can not safe it because there is the error message: “You are attempting to write inside your Style default installation directory. This is not allowed. You must select a different folder.”. I always used the default style folder for me selfmade output style, it was never used and safe in some other place. So what is the problem now? Is it the “just copying” from Windows Endnote X3?

Thanks for your help,

-Nick 

Certainly in Windows (Vista anyway) and perhaps it is the same on the Mac, you cannot point to the installed folders for styles, filters, connections, in your preferences, which is what it sounds like you have done. 

The default preferences will create the folder it needs, if it doesn’t already exist, in my experience (i.e. in My Documents).  Alternatively, you can create the folders in the location of your choice and point there- as long as it isn’t in program folders location and isn’t write protected or have other restricted permissions. 

Well, I never saw that, but that seems to be right. Thx.

Anyway, what is the best method to synchronize my PC und Mac with the same entries in my Endnote library? 

Certainly in Windows (Vista anyway) and perhaps it is the same on the Mac, you cannot point to the installed folders for styles, filters, connections, in your preferences, which is what it sounds like you have done.    The default preferences will create the folder it needs, if it doesn’t already exist, in my experience (i.e. in My Documents).  Alternatively, you can create the folders in the location of your choice and point there- as long as it isn’t in program folders location and isn’t write protected or have other restricted permissions.

@kopernikus79 wrote:

Anyway, what is the best method to synchronize my PC und Mac with the same entries in my Endnote library? 

the best way is to compress the library on one system and move the .enlx file that is created to the other system and unpack it (open it with Endnote) there.  File>compress (or in some versions “send”) library.