X3 trial version buggy -- anyone else?

@smidgebean wrote:

The styles are definitelyresiding in H/EndNote/Styles. If I open one (double-click from that location), I can edit and get it saved by closing out of it and making it prompt me to save it. It also tells me I am saving it outside my Style Manager, which tells me that the change I made would not be reflected if I tried to reformat a document now.

If I do exactly the same style opening process, and then go to File/Save As to save it, I get the endless loop and no option to change the location.

It doesn’t reproduce with registered version, so it could be another “trial” issue. If the decision has been made to upgrade to X3 to avoid 2010 problem, then figure this out later after buying license?

myoshigi wrote:

It doesn’t reproduce with registered version, so it could be another “trial” issue. If the decision has been made to upgrade to X3 to avoid 2010 problem, then figure this out later after buying license?

Yes, I can do that. Honestly, I just wanted to see if anyone else was having these problems with the full version. If we did a full install of all users here, and they started experiencing what I’m experiencing with the demo version, all heck would break loose. It appears that my issues are occurring because I have the demo, which is exactly what I wanted to know.

Thanks, everyone!

The “Member Not Found” issue you mentioned is typically the result of a previous version of the EndNote Cite While You Write (CWYW) tools loading from the Startup folder of Word. As you mentioned, the older CWYW tools can cause this message to appear when launching Word or performing other activities in EndNote, like changing Styles. To make sure you have removed the older version of the EndNote CWYW tools and any residual files, quit Word, Outlook and EndNote. Browse to the following file location:

C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP

Username in this case would be your computer login name.

Note: If you cannot find the specified folder, your Windows preferences may be set to hide the folder. Go to the Tools menu (press Alt to view menus in Windows Vista). Select Folder Options / View tab. Uncheck the box that reads “Hide file extensions for known file types,” and select “Show hidden files and folders”. Click Ok.

Look for anything in the folder with a name that starts with EN (as in EndNote) and delete it. Also, look for any temporary files in this folder and delete them as well. The temporary files can be identified by the “~$” symbols in the name.

Once these items have been removed, launch EndNote from the Start menu. By default, it should open the most recently accessed library. If no library is set to open with EndNote, you can then open your library using the File menu > Open Library option. Now that the library is open, you can launch Microsoft Word from the Start menu to see if this opens without error.

Jason Berman
Customer Technical Support Representative

Healthcare & Science
Thomson  Reuters

+1 800 336 4474
ResearchSoft Product Support
thomsonreuters.com