2 bibliographies-how did that happen?

I have two bibliographies in one document. It wasn’t planned. I don’t want two only one, how did that happen and how do I merge them into one.

could you tell us which version of Endnote and output style please? 

Hi,

I am using EndNote 11. Output style APA 5th.

I have been through my document again and discovered that the references in the larger bibliography are not linked to EndNote anymore, hence every time I insert a new reference in my document, it is added to the new bibliography, which only has a few references in it. So I have had to go through the whole document and re-insert all my references. Now they are all in one bibliography and I have been able to delete the other one. Why would my references no longer be linked to EndNote. Is it something to do with formatting. I had a problem with the cursor jumping around when I added a reference, and had to clean up the field codes.  Do you think this might have something to do with it? Can I avoid this in future because I often have to clean up the field codes due to the cursor jumping around.

Also do you know how to stop the authors first name inital appearing in the text, eg C. Crouch (1990) instead of Crouch (1990); and how do I limit the number of authors cited in the text to one for example Smith et al. (2000). At the moment the in text citing is unpredictable and can include one author of all of them!!  Many thanks

@jill wrote:

I am using EndNote 11. Output style APA 5th.

Why would my references no longer be linked to EndNote. Is it something to do with formatting. I had a problem with the cursor jumping around when I added a reference, and had to clean up the field codes.  Do you think this might have something to do with it? Can I avoid this in future because I often have to clean up the field codes due to the cursor jumping around.

It is important to unformat the references before cleaning up the field codes, or you will unlink the refs from endnote.  Also, after doing so (unformating then unlinking) you should delete any residual bibliography. 

Also do you know how to stop the authors first name initial appearing in the text, eg C. Crouch (1990) instead of Crouch (1990); and how do I limit the number of authors cited in the text to one for example Smith et al. (2000). At the moment the in text citing is unpredictable and can include one author of all of them!! 

This is usually caused by the list having two Crouch references which endnote interprets as two different authors, so it is disambiguating them (if that is a word!).  If there  is only one author - then you should copy and paste one author from one record, on top of the second record as there is probably some trivial difference that endnote is interpreting differently.