A Play in a Collection?

Hi,

I’m relatively new to endnote x3. Searched the forum but couldn’t find the answer to my query, which is:

In MLA 2008 update, a work in an anthology, previously published/performed elsewhere is to be cited like this (MLA Handbook 5.5.6):

Shepard, Sam. Chicago. 1965. The Unseen Hand and Other Plays. New York: Vintage Books, 1986. 53-69. Print.

This is especially the case with books that collect plays previously written by a playwright. As opposed to an article or a book section in an anthology, the title for the play is not written in the quote marks. For example, a typical work in an anthology would be cited like this:

Allende, Isabel. “Toad’s Mouth.” Trans. Margaret Sayers Peden. A Hammock beneath the Mangoes: Stories from Latin America. Ed. Thomas Colchie. New York: Plume, 1992. 83-88. Print.

The title of the story, Toad’s Mouth, is in quote marks. But a play in an anthology would not have these. Similarly, a scholarly work previously published, reprinted in an anthology would be cited like this:

Frye, Northrop. “Literary and Linguistic Scholarship in a Postliterate Age.” PMLA 99.5 (1984): 990-95. Rpt. in Myth and Metaphor: Selected Essays, 1974-88. Ed. Robert D. Denham.Charlottesville: UP of Virginia, 1990. 18-27. Print.

I was unable to find a reference type in endnote x3 that corresponds to these particular needs. Endnote x3, it seems, only has one reference type called ‘book section’ that cites in the style mentioned above in ‘toad’s mouth’ example. But I was unable to find a type that could cite a play in a collection or a scholarly article in a collection.

If someone can point me towards the right direction, I would really appreciate it.

PS. If the only solution is creating a new reference type or output style then please do refer me to a tutorial on how to do so as I am a total novice as far as that goes.

Thank you very much.

Message Edited by B-9238-2009 on 07-20-2009 11:18 PM

Message Edited by B-9238-2009 on 07-20-2009 11:24 PM

EndNote does not cope well with the complex referencing styles used in the humanities. Some aspects of these referencing styles are almost impossible to automate.

I have long felt the need for a reference type that would format a section from an authored book (as distinct from a section from an edited book), but even that will not be enough if the style requires variable formatting of the title of the section. I don’t think that the Chicago Manual of Style has this requirement, but clearly MLA does.

If you want to create new reference types, and edit the output style to match, you should look at the chapters of the EndNote manual entitled “Reference Types” and “Bibliographic Styles.” The manual is a large PDF file which is installed on your computer along with the EndNote software.

Thank you for clearing that up. I’ll look into that once I’m finished with my dissertation. Maybe I can create some MLA reference types that correspond to these types of citations and share 'em here for everyone’s benefit.

Regards,

Muhammad Yahya Cheema,
University of the Punjab,

Department of English Language and Literature.

Message Edited by B-9238-2009 on 07-26-2009 01:06 PM