adding new reference style to EndNote MS Word plug-in

Hello everyone,

Has anyone here encountered a problem where they can import and save new reference styles in EndNote Desktop, but these styles are not made available by the EndNote plug-in in Microsoft Word (running on 64-bit Win 10 OS)?

Could I be experiencing this problem because I am only using the 30-day free trial version of EndNote?

Thank you!

and you are just looking in the dropdown, or you are accessing the style manager or the option to “select another style” from the dropdown list?   

did you “save as” from endnote or try to save it yourself somewhere, via windows.  

Hi Leanne,

Thank you for your reply!

I was able to add and save the new reference style (called Medical Image Analysis) in EndNote desktop, and I synced the library with my EndNote basic online account. However, I am still uable to format my refrences in Word according the Medical Image Anlysis reference style. The CWYW plug-in Word privies me with a list of 3637 styles, but the one I want is not available. And the CWYW plug-in does not provide me with an option to add a new style (see attached image).

I somehow suspect that it is because I am either using a 30-day free trial version of EndNote or because I only have EndNote basic online account.
ref style options in Word.jpg

So you are trying to use the online tools rather than the deskdop tools?  I think you should be able to use the desktop tools in the 30 day period. There is no easy way to add additional styles in the online version, unless you have a local administrator, if I remember correctly.   

From the KB article: http://endnote.com/kb/82614

The desktop version of EndNote and EndNote online are designed to share the same tools in Word. However, only one set of Cite While You Write commands can be active at any given time. You can toggle between the two sets of commands:

1. In Word 2007/2010/2013/2016 , click on the EndNote tab and click Preferences.

Hello Anton,

The screen capture looks like the EndNote online tools. You can swap these for the EndNote X7 tools to access your newly added Style by following the steps in this article: http://endnote.com/kb/82605

That worked! Thank you so much for your help! :slight_smile: