After restart, endnote citations appearing with brackets instead of parentheses and including unknown number

Endnote freezes on my occasionally and I have to restart. After this restart, my citations which had been working fine are coming out all wonky. Instead of (Breiding et al., 2014) I’m getting {Breiding 2014, #544}. My Endnote program is still set to APA 6th, so I have no idea where this is coming from. Also no idea what the number is at the end of my citations–they are different numbers for all citations I try to insert. Working on a draft of my thesis proposal, any quick responses are hugely appreciated!

The curly brace format of your citations are known as “temporary citations”. These appear when Endnote’s “Instant Formatting” is turned off. To turn on Instant formatting go to the Endnote X7 section in the MS Word ribbon just below the “Categorize References” click the pull down menu to select “Turn Instant Formatting on”. The in-text citations and references should be automatically generated but if not click the “Update Citations and Bibliography” command.

Thank you so much!