Anonymous by Author-date - formatting

Hallo,

I’m having a problem with reaching the desired output format of an anonymous work reference using a variant of the Author-date style. In such case, I want the Short title to move to the Author position, so as the reference starts not with Year but with Title. Which is OK. But when the Title moves, the , Place Published moves toward the (Year): and the problem is that comma by , Place Published suppresses the colon by the (Year): . Which is against my intention. I want to retain the colon and to get rid of the comma in order to have the same bibliographic style by references with and without authors.

Example of template for Book (with results for the same reference with and without author):

|Author| (Year):expressionless: Title|, Place Published|, Publisher|.

Barth, Fredrik (1969) : Introduction, Boston, Little, Brown.

Introduction (1969) , Boston, Little, Brown.

Does anybody know how to format the templates properly to get the desired results?

Thank you very much. 

Ah, colon always makes problems. Now then the example once more with preventing the smiley:

|Author| (Year)[colon]| Title| , Place Published|, Publisher|.

Barth, Fredrik (1969) : Introduction, Boston, Little, Brown.

Introduction (1969) , Boston, Little, Brown.

Does the below work (I pushed the | character so that the , trails the fields rather than precedes the fields) - remember you probably need to put back in the “link adjacent” characters from the drop down, as they don’t copy).  Now the ,. combination if produced should be the one suppressed, and not the :,  but without your actual style and settings, I can’t test it easily. 

|Author |(Year)[colon] |Title ,| Place Published,| Publisher|.

It brings the colon to light but there are two new problems: comma between Title and Year and two spaces between Year and Place Published:

Barth, Fredrik (1969): Introduction, Boston, Little, Brown.

Introduction, (1969):  Boston, Little, Brown.

(in fact my first step in editing this template was to get rid of the comma between Title and Year by anonymous references, but it resulted in the problem with the colon - rather ridiculous one from the point of view of Ethiopian hungry children)

My wish is just to replace Author by Title, without any other change. But the processes in EndNote don’t allow it. If I understand it well the right punctuation always suppresses the left one.

But thank you for your effort.

Could you attach your style - so I can see the repercussions?  What reference types are these?  (and can you create a new separate ref type to handle the anonymous works?)

Here is the Style. I’ve chosen a predefined style that I wanted to change to comply my needs. So far I’ve edited just the Book template to see the results and changed the value in Anonymous works to “Use short title in place of author”.

I could solve it by making separate styles for anonymous works in which I’d place titles to author fields in the records. But this solution is a bit inconvenient, because one has to have as twice as many reference types - two types almost for every kind of work and still the new user types don’t comply with some standards. If I would import some references, they would show improperly or I would have to change them manually to my record types.

That’s why I’d like to avoid this in EndNote, more so if there is the possibility to replace the Author by Title and the number of reference types is limited.

Autor Jahr (deutsche Abk)_JV.ens (33.4 KB)

Nope.  Can’t overcome the idiosynchracies of the double punctuation auto-handling of Endnote in this instance.  I also note a double space in the citation before the year. Double spaces I could live with and they are easily eliminated in a pre-submission processing, but the only way I can see to adjust the style would be to include a non-punctuation character never used in your writing in place of the colon and replace it with a colon after removing the endnote fields prior to submission.  For example, replace the : after year in your affected templates  with an asterisk.  Then at the end of the day, you need to search and replace *,<space> and *<no space> with :<space>.