Attachments don't open

Dear Colleagues

I recently updated my Windows to 2007 Professional and Office to 2010.

The PDF attachments in my EndNote now don’t open.

Can anybody help me, please?

Thank you,

Pedro Novais

Where is your library and associated .DATA folder  located?   Did you move your library during the upgrade process (and how did you do that)?  Will PDFs open by double clicking them?

Dear Leanne

Thank you.

1. They’re located in the desktop.

2. The file and was copied to a pen (file and folder).

3. No. PDF’s don’t open by double clicking… The message that appears, doesn’t help much: “There was an error opening this document. Access denied”…

Thank you,

Pedro

Dangerous to copy them to the desktop which has a whole Documents and Settings prequel to them, as you could end up with filenames that exceed the windows underlying filename length of 256 characters which includes the folder structure names, but that is another thread  (unless in the copy process the filenames have been truncated - have you drilled into the folders to see if any pdfs names now end in ~ ?).

But the access denied message is from windows right?  They won’t even open from Windows?  Then you need to associate the .pdf extenstion to your PDF program.  Acrobat?  The easiest way would be to reinstall Acrobat, but you could also do it from the windows Folder option/File types settings.  I am not that familiar enough with windows 2007 - so I can’t walk you thru that. 

One more thing  - it is best to use the compress feature to pack up the library and folders, and unpack in its new location, as I have been told that Endnote can somehow handle the file name length problem okay, when Windows itself can’t.

One more thing (which I will write here, but then add to the previous message and delete)  - it is best to use the compress feature to pack up the library and folders, and unpack in its new location, as I have been told that Endnote can somehow handle the file name length problem okay, when Windows itself can’t.

Thank you, Leanne

Well, in fact this database is from another person here from the Faculty.

But this is really strangem because I can open the PDF directly in the folder.data; but when trying to open them through “Open File” in EndNote or even directly in the field “Attachments”…

Thank you,

Pedro

Then two words… Tech support.

And just another two words:

“Thank you!”

Best regards,

Pedro