Author Inputs

I’m not clear on something:  The book that came with EN said to input and author First Name, Last name, and then if there were multiple authors, the other are Last name, First name.

But when I look at the References they all seem to be Last Name, First Name.

Which is it?  Or is it different with multiple authors?

Regards,

Chuck Billow

Author names (whether singular or multiple) may be entered in first name last name (e.g., Sherlock Holmes) or last name firstname (e.g., Holmes, Sherlock) order. Both formats are correct and actually could be used interchangeably within the same reference.  The only rule governing multiple authors is to enter one author per line.

Determining which sequence (first-last or last-first)  to use is a matter of personal preference but the following considerations made me favor using a last name, first name sequence:

1. EndNote has an option to display (in the library) all authors listed in the Author field and I find having them listed by last name, first name is easier to see/scan; and

1. EndNote’s  “Suggest Terms as You Type” feature suggests author names based on the assumption that names are entered with the last name first.
1 Like

Certainly it shouldn’t say to enter

Firstname<comma> Last Name?  anywhere.  That would make endnote think the Firstname is the Lastname.  Where did you see this?  in the Getting Started Guide?

The best reason to enter them (manually, only if absolutely necessary) as

Lastname, Firstname

is that double barreled names will come out correctly.  If you enter them

Firstname van der Something

Endnote will assume the last name is … well , the Lastname!  like this: 

Something, Firstname van der

and abbreviate it like this

Something, F v d

but

van der Something, Firstname

will be correctly handled. 

(And if you are persnickety and want this listed alphabetically under “Something” and not “van” those should be entered into the preferences “sorting” ignore list.)

1 Like

CrazyGecko, I think you’re right, I prefer it last name first as well.

Leanne, sorrow about the firstname comma lastname.  You of course are right.

What the book “Getting Started” did do (to me at least) was have the person enter it both ways, with unclear reasoning for doing so.

AAMOF, one of the things I like especially about EN is its having to seemingly covered all of the bases.

Thanks both,

Chuck 

Hi!  This post was very helpful to me, as I have been having trouble entering multiple authors.  However, I am still having trouble entering multiple authors where one’s name has a Jr. on the end of it.  For example, John Smith, Jr.  I have tried entering it as

First author

John Smith, Jr.

This outputs the second name as “Jr. John Smith”

“Smith, Jr., John” outputs the second name as “Jr. Smith, John”

“Jr., John Smith” outputs John Smith Jr.

“Jr., John Smith,” outputs John Smith Jr.

Help!

Yikes.  Of course, just after posting that I figured it out.

If it helps anyone else, it has to be entered as:

Smith, John, Jr.

Odd, but it works.

you got it!  If it helps at all, asking the Endnote X4 help, index, entering “jr.” brings up the section of the help which addresses this. 

Good place to  remind new users that a corporate name gets a comma at the end, (or a double comma in it, if it contains a comma). 

jrpkid - your post is another reminder as to why entering names on a “last name first” basis is a preferable choice. As for entering “Jr”, it may also depend on particulars of  the Chicago style (or others) so check the manual.  But here are some options:

Enter name as:   Smith, John, Jr.    [this is recommended by the EndNote manual]

Outputs as:          Smith, John, Jr.

Enter name as:   Smith Jr. , John      [note the insertion of double commas]

Outputs as:          Smith Jr., John

I have a suggestion:
Input: Worthington EL Jr.,
Output: Worthington EL Jr.

@Tuaga, that wouldn’t produce the correct output if a style required first initials followed by surname, for example. It also would cite as (Worthington EL Jr., Year) which would also not be the correct output for in text citations.