Authors on separately lines in output style

We have to prepared output style for EndNote X4, where will be each author on separately line. Is it possible insert line/paragraph separator between authors names in each reference?

Thank you!

Is there a specific journal that has this requirement? With the standard Author fields in EndNote, there is no way to do this. If you were to copy the author name information from each library record to another field, you could use that field instead of the author field in the template. Since EndNote would no longer be able to provide the typical author name formatting rules, you would need to enter the author name information into the new field exactly as you would want it to output.

Jason Berman
Technical Sup Rep RS

Thomson Reuters

Phone: +1 800-336-4474
thomsonreuters.com

Jason, I beg to differ, but the RIS export output style does this?  There is a line break preceding the AU -  tag, and I assume this would work with the author name itself? 

See the example attached where I inserted that (copied from the RIS output style) in both the boxes of the bibliography template for author and editor lists.

(added in edit)  I replaced the orginal which didn’t work quite as expected, as it required an additional carriage return after the author field.  I am not sure exactly how you would want the rest of the reference to be represented, but you do need to copy the line break from another style, because I couldn’t find a way to insert it easily from the keyboard.  So adjust your favorite style with those two changes. 
Annotated-authoronseplines.ens (16.2 KB)
Annotated-authoronseplines.ens (17.5 KB)

Wellllll, that didn’t work too well, did it.  Need to go back to the drawing board a little bit. 

It might be possible but it depends on how the references have been set up and what is the desired output format (e.g., was the information manually entered into the EndNote reference templates or was the data imported/direct exported from an online database provider into EndNote; if the output is going to be in an MS Word format).

Parsing each author onto a separate line will necessitate embedding a common code “prefix” to appear before each author’s name so it becomes a separate unit of information (like the “AU” tag mentioned by Leanne).  Without the code, EndNote treats all authors as a single unit which presents problems such as Jason described.  (Embedding the code could be performed on data that’s in an electronic format like an RIS or text file (.txt) but there needs to be some unique characteristic between authors in order to easily identify where to place the code.)

If the output is meant to be in an MS Word format, the “AU” codes could then be changed by using the FInd and Replace feature to change the codes to a paragraph break: ^p   The paragraph break will then place each author on a separate line.

Thanks for useful information. Style was required for importing of references to database OBD of Charles University. We were successful with suggested solution!

Thank you for the update. That makes more sense. The formatting option Leanne suggested would typically be used for a tagged export file rather than a style needed for a specific Journal publication.

Jason Berman
Technical Sup Rep RS

Thomson Reuters

Phone: +1 800-336-4474
thomsonreuters.com