Back up styles filters and connections

As per help menu I am trying to back up the above but I can’t find them in Windows 7 32 bit.

I want to make sure all the changes I mad to formatting will be retained in a back up copy.

Can someone asdvise please?

Endnote saves edited or downloaded styles, filters and connecdtion files are saved in your “libraries” my document folder in an Endnote folder (at least in endnote default installation).  You can check where that might be in the Edit preferences>folder locations.  You can back those folders up. They are not overwritten when you upgrade.   

Hello Leanne

Thank you.

I have one back up on installation but what about keeping it up to date. I went into  file amd 'save a copy and it already exists. I have my last back up endnote library1 with a date. how would I have done this please? I presume I put in the endnote library1 because it said it was saved.

What do I have to do to ensure this is all included in my endnote back up. If I want to restore I will want to choose the latest.

I would have thought this was automatic. Bit the help menue gives so many options and different things I should do. It will be a nigtmare to updte and restore the right properties. Surely there is an easier way.

I have everything on an external hard drive but preparing my computer to send  to cloud.

regards

I really don’t understand what you are asking. I suggest you might call Tech support and tell them what you are trying to achieve.  Any installation of endnote will point to the same user file location, so if you change the preferences, it will point to the new place.  the library backup doesn’t back up these other files.  I don’t think you can run endnote from a cloud.  

Hi Leanne

What I mean is that I should be able to back up all my changes in endnote and not make individual back ups with filters and styles etc. That seems inefficient and a nightmare to reinstall if I have to. I did however do these yesterday. I tried to save my library via file and save a copy but it said that I already saved this. However, I  had the library back ups in my documents  with the date I did them. I have forgotten how I did this. I need to back up my latest library now. So I guess this is the question. How did I do these?.

It shouldn’t be so hard to back up. Everything is currently going to an external drive. I have all my programmes in external drive but I know I can only back up raw data into cloud. I just hope it is usable.  I didn’t know if this has to be done individually. I am also peeved that two new versions have been released. When I bought version 5 it had just been released and there were very few resources specific to version 5. I didn’t get any info that these other version were available.

Many thanks

Hello Kaila,

Changes were made to the way content files were saved in EndNote due to security changes implemented by Microsoft. Due to these changes, the system often prevents applications from saving files to the Program Files folder and instead creates a Virtual Store. So, when you install EndNote, the main application files are stored to the Program Files location, but any custom styles are saved to your local user account where Microsoft Windows gives you access to save those changes. If you install a new version of EndNote on the same computer, the existing custom Styles, Filters and Connections will continue to work. If you install the software on a new computer, those custom files would need to be migrated as well. If you have any suggestions on how you would like to see the migration simplified, please post them here:

http://community.thomsonreuters.com/t5/EndNote-Product-Suggestions/bd-p/en-suggest

As for backing up the library, please see this article:

http://endnote.com/kb/82295

Thanks Jason.  I guess it can get confusing distinguishing between backing up the library (which includes terms) and “backing up the program for migration” which is an excellent distinction.  

The latter would include things altered in program preferences -including modified ref types, “change case” list, sorting options (ignore a, the, …) spell check, find full text defaults, - as well as the  modified and downloaded user specific output styles, connections, and filters.  Especially since some but not all of these can be overwritten when endnote is updated or upgraded.  

@jason wrote:

Hello Kaila,

Changes were made to the way content files were saved in EndNote due to security changes implemented by Microsoft. Due to these changes, the system often prevents applications from saving files to the Program Files folder and instead creates a Virtual Store. So, when you install EndNote, the main application files are stored to the Program Files location, but any custom styles are saved to your local user account where Microsoft Windows gives you access to save those changes. If you install a new version of EndNote on the same computer, the existing custom Styles, Filters and Connections will continue to work. If you install the software on a new computer, those custom files would need to be migrated as well. If you have any suggestions on how you would like to see the migration simplified, please post them here:

http://community.thomsonreuters.com/t5/EndNote-Product-Suggestions/bd-p/en-suggest

Great thanks Jason, very helpful. 

@jason wrote:

Hello Kaila,

Thanks very much Jason

That was very helpful.

This wouldnt post because I got the Thanks Leanne

@leanne wrote:

Endnote saves edited or downloaded styles, filters and connecdtion files are saved in your “libraries” my document folder in an Endnote folder (at least in endnote default installation).  You can check where that might be in the Edit preferences>folder locations.  You can back those folders up. They are not overwritten when you upgrade.   

I also receive a message from huyuanyuan (New User) posted a new Reply in on 11-05-2013 03:27 AM: I get  Access Denied. Cant find the message.  This wouln.t post as I get a messagew

Your post has been changed because invalid HTML was found in the message body. The invalid HTML has been removed. Please review the message and submit the message when you are satisfied

regards

Kaila

@jason wrote:

Hello Kaila,

@jason wrote:

Hello Kaila,

I keep replying Jason but wont go through. I have removed the links. This was very helpful.

regards

kaila

Kailia, it was a spam post, so it was removed by the moderators.  

@kaila wrote:

I also receive a message from huyuanyuan (New User) posted a new Reply in on 11-05-2013 03:27 AM: I get  Access Denied. Cant find the message.  This wouldn.t post as I get a message

Your post has been changed because invalid HTML was found in the message body. The invalid HTML has been removed. Please review the message and submit the message when you are satisfied

regards

Kaila

Hi Leanne

Thank you. Need to spell check don’t i?

I will fix it for ya!