Endnote libraries location - a mystery!

I am about to upgrade from Endnote 9 to the current version. Before I do so, I want to back up my libraries. I was able to locate 3 libraries that I had originally imported into Endnote 9 from an earlier version - they were located in the Endnote folder in Program Files (on a Windows computer). They are titled “(library name)-Converted.” However, since upgrading to Endnote 9, I had created a new library, and I can’t find where it is stored! I have searched the computer for it, under both user names, and also for *.enl, to no avail. When I go to “Open” a library, it appears in the Endnote folder and I can open it. But when I use windows explorer to get to the Endnote folder, it is not visible. (I do have the hidden files visible) When I search for it I can find only the Shortcut to it, and when I click on the shortcut it says that the file is not available and I should click Browse to find it myself. I also tried saving a copy (it doesn’t appear), restoring the library (It says there are 0 references in the restored librarY), and exporting the .txt (it also doesn’t appear using Windows explorer) So this is a frustrating mystery preventing me from upgrading – Where is this library located? How can I find it? Thank you very much for any suggestions!

and what is your operating system? 

Vista.

If you are trying to save your library in an Endnote folder in Program Folders, you will not be able to do so.  You may also not be able to view the files there.  If I understand your info below, you seem to be able to open it, and tried to save it (I presume from Endnote), but did you try to save it to somewhere outside of the program folder location?  - I would suggest  creating a folder on the C: drive and saving it there. 

Thank you for the suggestion. It doesn’t seem to work - In Endnote 9, I can’t “Save As” but I can “Save a copy” and I tried to do this to a new folder in c:, the desktop, the h: drive, etc. The library never appears in any of those places I’m supposedly saving a copy. It’s so strange!

(edit: to answer your question, yes, I am doing this from the Endnote program itself. ie, I can see the library and use it within endnote. I just can’t find it on the computer in order to back it up prior to installng the current version of endnote.)

Tis a mystery indeed.  Tech Support would be my next phone call!

Here is the answer, courtesy of tech support:

> Please check the following location for the library with EndNote closed.
>
> C:\Users"your username"\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\EndNote 9
>
>

One can force the folder locations via registry settings:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ISI ResearchSoft\EndNote\Preferences]
“FiltersFolder”=
“ConnectionsFolder”=

Note: the value is in HEX, so first set the value via the prefs option and than export these values.

The Styles folder can be set via the CFDIR key below:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\ISI ResearchSoft\EndNote\17]
“CFDIR”=“H:\EndNoteX7\Styles\”

Kind regards,

Marc Duiker

UMC Utrecht, DW Packaging devision

One can force the folder locations via registry settings:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ISI ResearchSoft\EndNote\Preferences]
“FiltersFolder”=
“ConnectionsFolder”=

Note: the value is in HEX, so first set the value via the prefs option and than export these values.

The Styles folder can be set via the CFDIR key below:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\ISI ResearchSoft\EndNote\17]
“CFDIR”=“H:\EndNoteX7\Styles\”

Kind regards,

Marc Duiker

UMC Utrecht, DW Packaging division