Bibliography formats

OK, I admit to being both slow and a procrastinator. 

I had gotten somewhat used to EndNote x5.  I just got X7.

I picked out a reference from my imported Word 2010 library, and what it did was

(“First Heart Transplant,” 1964)

First Heart Transplant. (1964, January 31). Time.com. Retrieved from http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,897112,00.html

Where what Word gave me was

(Time.com, 1964) 

Time.com. (1964, January 31). First Heart Transplant. Retrieved August 10, 2009, from Time.com: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,897112,00.html

I am not sure, but I think that the Word format for the intext portion is correct, so where do I change that?

And then, then date and format for the bibliography was certainly different, so, if I need to make EN conform to Word, how where do I do that?

Regards,

Chuck Billow

It would help to know what X7 output style you are using and the requirements of your publication, but  am guessing that the author is not given in the record so it is adopting the “use APA specifications for an anonymous work”, which says to use the title in the citation and bibliographic list.  You can put time.com in as the author, and I suspect you will get somewhat closer to what you are expecting.  

By “word” and word 2010 library, I assume you have been exploring the MS Word bibliographic component?  I have never used that - so I am not sure where or how it achieves its output, but I don’t think you could - for example - export an output style that word has for use in Endnote.  

You should probably explore exactly what the requirements are for your publication.  To get the precise output you expect you will need to edit your output style for web pages.  The steps for this are pretty much the same as in X5, which CrazyGecko has described in other threads.  

Also, if you have an  output style that you previously edited and used and saved to a slightly new name - it should be still on the machine you upgraded from X5.  It will be in a documents, endnote, styles folder and should be displayed when you view the style manager list in endnote which will pull from the newly installed styles (on you C: drive which can not be modified by endnote as Windows treats them as a non-writable location) and the modified styles you had downloaded or edited - in the location I mentioned above.  

Leanne,

I think my first question would be how to have the intext cites show (author, year) instead of (title, year).

Then, in the bibliography again, tho have the author’s name show first as opposed to the title.

Regards,

Chuck

Leanne, as I am looking at the Word 2010 cites and then trying to determine what the discrepancy is, it appears that for cites in Word that I have a corporate author there is no author shown in Endnote. So, for instance, an article in Time at Time.com that had no specific individual author, that when I input it to Word I designated Time.com as the corporate author, in EndNote it is now showing no author.

That may well be why the bibliographic entries are not matching up.

Chuck

Have you tried downloading/installing a “fresh” output style (as output files may be updated over time)?   

Endnote doesn’t distinguish between Author and “corporate author” I don’t think.  The Corporate author would just go into the author field iwth a trailing comma if there were multiple parts to the name.  I haven’t tested time.com to know if it would need one or not.  I would try moving the time.com to the regular author field in the record?   

CG, I haven’t gotten that far, since any imported reference with a corporate author has ‘no’ authoer in EN data files, it isn’t an output issue, as there would be nothing to output.

Chuck

Leanne, EN must, because the references I have with ‘individuals’ named as author, show up fine, but the ones with corporate authors just have a blank field.  That would mean that I would need to track any/all ‘corporate’ authors and re-input them.

It’s surprising since the Corporate Author field is right there below the individual author…can’t miss it.  And then, I cannot understand how I must be the first person to mention this so that it is not accounted for in the import process.

Chuck

Leanne, I found another piece to the puzzle:

When researching the concept of mandatory voting, I went to

http://www.ushistory.org/documents/ask-not.htm

For John F. Kennedy’s inaugural address.  I input same into Word with USHistory.org as the author.

When EN imported the item, it classified it a s “Online Multimedia”, which when I looked at it, had no field for the author.

There’s some type of categorization that EN is making/doing that then eliminates any author.

Chuck

This sounds like an import filter/connection file failing that should be reported TR’s support.  To make sure the information is captured during importing from various database providers.  Where are these downloaded from?  

I am not sure all publications treat the website as the “author” though.  This might be an APA thing.  

But it would seem that the “field substitution” option could be modified to allow substitutions of a “corporate author” or other field for the author in specific output styles.  This is not yet an option beyound a very  few  specific field alternatives and seem to be applied specifically to the bibliography and not to the citations.  

Maybe phrasing this for a thread in the Suggestions part of these forums, would be the best way to bring it to the attention of TR’s Endnote developers?  That is the route most often suggested to us users.  

Leanne, in Word the input is totally controlled by the user, so that whether there is an author, and then whether that author is “corporate” is an ad hocinput situation.

I’m not sure how one would get around this, except perhaps to have all ‘corporate’ authors entered into the last name field of Word, which would be APA problematic.

What does concern me is how I can translate the tens if not hundreds of corporate authors so that EN will recognize them.

I would be happy to forward this on to tech Support…where…how?

Regards,

Chuck Billow

EndNotePic.jpg

Leanne, I noticed after my post just now that the reference type was atypical.  The ‘corporate’ filed however is present regardless.

Chuck

A historical check shows the number of reference types increased from 48 (EndNote X5) to 54 (EndNote X7). So it seems your X5 references followed the X7 Reference Types layout .and may explain the misalignment of fields and reference type reassignment.

To preserve the X5 Reference Types layout and any custom modifications (e,g, adding/renaming fields, specializing reference types) you’d have to export the reference types table as an .xml file then import the file into X7 – but the drawback is you’ll be limited to 48 reference types.

If you want the full array of 54 reference types in X7 it seems you’ll need to correct the references that were assigned to the wrong reference type and update  the Reference Types layout with any custom modifications used in X5.

CG,

Does that also mean that the lack of corproate authors is due to X7 as well?  Correcting a reference type, although a pain, isn’t the end of the world.  Correcting the reference author even, can be done on an as needed basis I suppose.

What I do not yet understand is that my EN database was not imported from X5.  It was a fresh import from Word 2010.  So does that then mean that the error in not properly identifying authors on import from Word will remain unsettled?  So that if I started using EN as my primary reference source, any documents that have Word references and that then are converted would all have to be corrected for the author info as well as the document type?

I find it hard to understand or conceive of the idea that a larger company or user than myself would be willing or perhaps even able to convert and modify what could easily be thousands of references – again, not necessarily the reference type, as that is a drop-down, but what would then amount to the re-input of all the author data.

I don’t know whether X5 had the same issues.  I hadn’t noticed until after I started using X7.  If X5 did not have this issue, could I then install X5, import the references, and then import those into X7 and have them all place correctly?

Regards,

Chuck

I have never seen that “create source” option, so I am obviously out of my league.  I have never seen anything with the corporate tag either…

If there is a field in your records called “corporate author” you can copy or move it to the empty “author” field with a trailing comma?  

Leanne,

Yes, This is a difference in approach.  Word sets up a special field (Corporate Author) to in effect accomplish what Endnote does by the placement of the comma at the end of the entry.  Going forward there are ways and means.  What I was hoping to find I suppose is a way to perform the mass conversion. 

Is there no way that I could get some type of macro(?) that, if the Corporate Author were not empty to move the contents to the Endnote Author field and place the comma as well?

Or perhaps do it through an export to an spreadsheet or XML file maybe, fix all the entries, and then re-import?

Chuck

@cwbillow wrote:

…Is there no way that I could get some type of macro(?) that, if the Corporate Author were not empty to move the contents to the Endnote Author field and place the comma as well?

Or perhaps do it through an export to an spreadsheet or XML file maybe, fix all the entries, and then re-import?

While the increased number of X7 reference types may account for the reference type reassignment in light of your recent postings the central problem seems to be that Word exports author names and corporation names as separate fields. EndNote’s import filter only registers the individual author field so is ignoring the corporation name field.

It might be possible to tweak either-or-both the exported Word bibliography and EndNote import filter but need to see the.exported Word bibliography. What file formats can the Word bibliography be exported to? Can you attach samples containing references of author names and corporation names?

CG, as far asto EndNote  I can see, as a “regular” Word user, it does not export the references.  The “Export to Endnote” is an Endnote function.  I’ll check wth those masters of Office that I can contact to see if there is a way.

Chuck

This appears to be the “suggestion” – so I suggest you post this to the “Product Suggestions” forum here.