Can't insert citation in footnote with X4.0.1 patch

I am running EndNote X4.0.1 (version 4 with the recently released patch). When I attempt to enter a citation into a footnote I get an error message saying I cannot enter a citation into a footnote or sometimes Word 2010 just crashes.

The actual error message is:

“This method or property is not available because the object refers to a footnote, endnote or comment.”

I am using Chicago 15A as the format.

Is there a fix to this?

I had the same problem and reported it to the EndNote developers, but I don’t think they have a fix yet. The only solution I found is to go back to X4 without the fix - that is, reinstalling. (However, if that is not an option for you, what sometimes works is to insert a citation in the main text before inserting citations in footnotes.)

Same here! This is a major problem for those of us using the Chicago/Turabian citation method (i.e. many from the Humanities amongst others), as we don’t use in-text citation at all.

It seems that the patch fixed the frustrating problem of there being no dash for texts in the bibliography with the same author, but now doesn’t allow us to actually place any citations in the document at all. All my previous citations work fine, but it doesn’t allow me to add. Neither does it allow me to unformat the citations and reformat them, giving the same error message.

Very frustrating when we have papers etc. due soon - I hope they can get a fix asap!

We are investigating this issue and have slated it as a top priority for an update targeted for early 2011. If you are using 2011 and footnotes, the recommendation is to uninstall the X4.0.1 update. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Mathilda, the EndNote team

That will be a huge inconvenience for many of us, I am sure. I really hope the Endnote team can fix these glitches as soon as possible.

On the one hand, X4 does not allow those of us running Windows to have multiple texts by the same author properly listed in the bibliography when using Chicago or Turabian (i.e. using the dash instead of the full name)., but does allow us to cite in footnotes. On the other hand, X4.0.1 has fixed the problem in the bibliography but now does not allow us to put citations in either footnotes or endnotes, although a previous comment states clearly that they had no problems actually placing citations in either  during the patch beta testing?

This is very frustrating for those of us who have theses, papers and so on due by the late 2010!

I just want to chime in on the annoyance. I upgraded to X4.0.1 to fix the documented problem where repeated authors were not being replaced by a dash in the bibliography. But as noted, X4.0.1 killed the ability to create references inside of footnotes for Word 2010! So in the end, I’m left with two bad choices!

Is there a release date scheduled for the patch that will actually make this software fully functional again?

I agree, it is highly frustrating. I hope they release the patch soon as I have a number of important papers and a whole chapter of my thesis due soon! 

We can’t be the only people suffering because of this… :-/

So painful software; I wish I started citing my thesis with some other software, or just manually. So PAINFUL 

We are in the testing phase with an X4 update that will address this issue. If you’d like to volunteer as a tester, please send a private message to rsbeta, http://community.thomsonreuters.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/382, indicating your interest with your email address to receive further instructions.

• Mathilda, the EndNote team

I use a modified Chicago B style template. The dash for repeated authors in the bibliography was not displayed at all first. I then downloaded the patch. Now there are some dashes but it’s not consistent. So for some repeated authors it does show the dash, for others it doesn’t! Any clue?!

… in fact, this happens when the list of publications by the same author consists of different reference types. That is, it shows dashes for the articles and then shows the name again for a book by the same author (and then starts again with the dashes)  

@suspekt wrote:

I use a modified Chicago B style template. The dash for repeated authors in the bibliography was not displayed at all first. I then downloaded the patch. Now there are some dashes but it’s not consistent. So for some repeated authors it does show the dash, for others it doesn’t! Any clue?!

… in fact, this happens when the list of publications by the same author consists of different reference types. That is, it shows dashes for the articles and then shows the name again for a book by the same author (and then starts again with the dashes)  

This one has been solved. I hadn’t realized that some of the entries for the same author did not have the full first name (but only the initial). Therefore Endnote treated them as different authors. Simple as that.