Problem with Repeated Authors in Bibliography

Hi all, I have tried searching the forums but couldn’t find anything in here so I hope someone can help.

I am using Endnote X4 with Office 2010 on a Windows 7 PC. My PhD thesis is formatted using the Chicago 15th A format, as I am using footnotes throughout. When formatting my bibliography, however, authors with multiple texts are no longer replaced by the dash, and instead their full name is repeated throughout. I recently upgraded from Endnote X3, but honestly can’t remember if the issue appeared before or not (I think it was fine before, but can’t be 100% sure).

I have gone to “Edit Chicago 15th A” setting, and selected “Author Lists” in the Bibliography sub-section, confirming it is set to “replace repeated authors” with the dash, yet when I format the bibliography, I still have no luck. Even if I unformat all my citations and reformat, it still doesn’t work.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem? If anyone is, or has, how to sort it?

Any assistance would be much appreciated, as it is really perplexing me!

Thanks,

Dawood

Just to update, included is a screen cap of a relevant example, and also my modified style that I am using for my PhD thesis. I also tried resetting the style to the Chicago 15th A default, and it still doesn’t work.

Thanks,

Dawood

Multiple_Author.gif
Repeated_Authors.gif
Chicago 15th A (Mod).ens (54 KB)

Any help would be most appreciated as this is a most perplexing issue.

Thanks

This is a recently-discovered bug in EndNote X4 for Windows [it works as designed for the Macintosh version]. We are working on fixing this for an upcoming free update patch for X4. We plan to have the patch ready sometime this Fall.

Jason Rollins, the EndNote team

Thanks for your response and all the best with it!

Dawood

I have also encountered this problem with Turabian Bibliography output style.  Duplicate works by the same author do not show up with the proper style in the bibliography.

Any ETA on the patch?  Fall is kinda obscure for a release date.

Cheers!

We are currently beta testing the EndNote X4.01 update for Windows - which includes a fix for this footnote issue. If all goes well with testing, we plan to have this publicly available by the end of this month.

Thanks Jason.  Note it is really a bibliography versus footnote issue but I’m sure that’s what you meant.  Looking forward to the patch.

skaman

Right - for Turabian this issue is only with the bibliography but for other styles (Chicago 15th for example) I believe this glitch impacts both footnotes and bibliography setting for repeated authors. Regardless they both seem fixed in the X4.01 beta we are currently reviewing.

Presuming all goes well with the testing, we will post a notice in the forums as soon as the update patch is ready; hopefully just another week or two.

Thanks for the clarification Jason.  I also own X4 for Mac and I noticed last night that is was inconsistent in the multiple books by same author in the bibliography also.  Got one correct, but missed another.  Using Turabian this time also.  Any thoughts?  Document was created in Office 2010/Windows 7 but I loaded it up on my Mac last night to make sure it would work fine on Word 2008/OS x 10.6.x.  I did tell it to re-create the bibliography but I didn’t delete the bibliography entirely first.

This function should be working as designed in the Macintosh version of EndNote X4. I just did a few quick tests and it appears to be fine for me using the Turabian and Chicago 15th bibliographic styles.  You might want to check to be absolutely sure that the author name lists are exactly the same so that EndNote knows that these are repeating and need to be treated as such.

If you are seeing something different, feel free to send me a small sample library (.enlx format) and Word document and we will investigate.

We do have another update patch planned for version X4 - for both Windows and Macintosh - so we will certainly try to prioritize a fix if there is a problem on the Macintosh.

Jason Rollins, the EndNote team  - jason [dot] rollins [@] thomsonreuters [dot] com

Thank Jason.  I will email the Word document and small library to you.  I opened the Office 2010/Win 7/EndnotesX4-Win created document in Word 2008/OSX 10.6.x/EndnotesX4-Mac and it is still not working correctly.  Interestingly, if I create footnotes in a new document in the Mac version then tell it to create a bibliography, seems to work fine.  But, when creating one in Windows environment, the bibliography doesn’t format correctly when loaded into Mac environment.  I tried deleting the offending footnotes in Mac environ., reinserting them, and having X4-Mac recreate the bibliography and it did not work either.  I also verified the author’s name was identical in spelling and format in all three entries.  Only difference in the entries are two are journal articles and one is a published book.

Let me know if this does not behave the same way for you…email on its way.

skaman

The patch to 4.0.1 seems to have fixed the problem I initially posted about. Thanks a lot!

I seem to have prematurely clicked the “tick” that the issue has been fixed…

The bibliography display issue of multiple texts by the same author has been sorted; I can now no longer enter citations into footnotes! Instead, I receive an error message stating: “This method or property is not available because the object refers to a footnote, endnote or comment.” Is this similar to the error that appeared on the Mac that was mentioned previously? I am using a Windows 7 PC with Office 2010.

Please see a post related for the X4.0.1 Word 2010 footnote issue - http://community.thomsonreuters.com/t5/EndNote-General/Can-t-insert-citation-in-footnote-with-X4-0-1-patch/m-p/13082/highlight/false#M4177

Hi there,

I’m experiencing a couple of problems with my endnote cite while you write in Pages '09 for macbook.  My thesis deadline is in 4 days so I’d appreciate it if you could get back to me as soon as possible!

Firstly, the repeated authors function does not seem to be working.  I have checked through the ‘author’ field in all of my endnote references, and all of the ones containing the same author are printed identically.  However, when I create a bibliography in Pages, only some of the repeated authors are replaced by a dash ––– and others (seemingly randomly) still present the (repeated) name of the author. 

Another question i have is about a filmography.  Is there any way of effectively creating two bibliographies so that one contains all of the film and broadcast references (i.e. a filmography) and one creates everything else? Since this is in such common usage by film studies scholars I’d be surprised if it wasn’t possible, I just haven’t figured out how to do it yet.

many thanks,

Clara