After having written 50 pages I am told to change my reference method. In the text I was always mentioning author, year and page. While of course keeping the overview of all references at the back of the text I would like in a row to change the in-text reference by a footnote reference. is this possible?
You can use a Word macro to have Word shift the placement on the in-text citations to a footnote.
You will want to make a backup copy of the document first.
- In Word 2007/2010 with Reference Manager 12 , go to the Reference Manager 12 tab and choose the “Convert Citations and Bibliography > Convert to Unformatted Citations” command.
In Word 2007 with Reference Manager 10/11 , go to the Addins tab and choose the Reference Manager > Revert to Original Text" command.
In Word 2000/2002 (XP)/2003 go to the Tools Menu and select “Reference Manager > Revert to Original Text” command.
2. This should revert all the citations into the temporary citation format and remove the reference list from the end of the document.
Click [Ctrl] + A to select all.
Copy the document text
Download the Word document titled “TextToFootnotes.doc” under Attachments in this post.
6. Paste the text into this file. Note: If prompted, select to enable the Macro when opening this file.
- In Word 2007/2010 , Go to the View tab, choose “Macros” and select “View Macros.” Select “Convert_to_footnote” and choose “Run.”
In all other versions of Word, Go to “Tools > Macros and choose “Macros” from the submenu. Select “Convert_to_footnote” and choose “Run.”
8. Once this is run, the in-text citations will be copied into footnotes.
9. When the document has been updated, you can copy it into a new document.
10. You should now be able to format this version of the document in the appropriate style.
With Reference Manager 12 in Word 2007/2010 , go to the Reference Manager 12 tab and choose the “Update Citations and Bibliography” command.
With Reference Manager 10/11 in Word 2007 , go to the Add-Ins tab and choose the “Reference Manager > Generate Bibliography” command.
Let us know if you have any questions or if this does not resolve the issue.
Hi can you please reupload the document TextToFootnotes.doc? It does not appear to be visible anymore
Alternatively, could you please explain the steps needed to create the macro?