Changing The Output Style for MLA

I have ENDNOTE X7. The way it outputs film citations for the Works Cited page is not how the MLA Style Manual says the citation should look. ENDNOTE does not include the Distributor, Director or Performers’ fields.  I put them in the fields as I’m entering the data, but they don’t show up in the Output. How can I change it so that the Distributor, Director and Performers’ fields show up in the Output when I export the library to Word?  Below are examples of what I mean:

HOW ENDNOTE OUTPUTS IT

Sunshine. 2007. Film.

HOW IT SHOULD LOOK

Surrogates. Dir. Jonathan Mostow. Perf. Bruce Willis, Radha Mitchell, and Rosamund Pike. Touchstone, 2010. Film.

The Director, Performer, and Distributor fields can be added to the Film and Broadcast template by either clicking the Insert Field button or manually typing the field name  (see attached image). Also note that the name order for both the Author Name and Editor Name had to be changed so the director and performer names could appear in 1st-then-last name order as shown in your example.

A copy of the modified output style is attached for your reference.

MLA modified_happycozy.ens (47.2 KB)

Wow! Thanks for such a quick and thorough response. I’m going to try that now :smileyvery-happy:

Everything you told me works wonderfully. Thanks. I have one more question: how can I change the order of the director’s name only? I don’t want to change it for any other citations–just the director. Thanks.

@happycozy wrote:

… how can I change the order of the director’s name only? I don’t want to change it for any other citations–just the director.

Sorry but I don’t understand what you’re asking. Could you provide examples of how the citation is currently being displayed and how you want it to actually be?

Thanks for helping me :smiley: Below are examples of what I’m talking about. The part that’s underlined is what I’m trying to change.

This is the way it currently appears:

28 Days Later. Dir. Boyle, Danny. Perf. Cillian Murphy, Naomie Harris, and Brendan Gleeson. Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation, 2002. Film.

This is the way it should appear:

28 Days Later. Dir. Danny Boyle. Perf. Cillian Murphy, Naomie Harris, and Brendan Gleeson. Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation, 2002. Film.

Auckland University of Technology has the answer on one of their library guides. You can find it here: 

aut.ac.nz.libguides.com/content.php?pid=84548&sid=2487144

The main contributors’ names are followed by a position descriptor in brackets, e.g. Scorcese, M. (Producer)

To produce an accurate reference from an EndNote record you must enter these names in your EndNote record in a very specific way:

- enter each contributor on a new line

- use the inverted format, i.e. family name followed by first initial

- add an extra comma after each contributor’s family name

- add the position descriptor in brackets after each name

- for example:
  Scorcese, M. (Producer)
  Lonergan, K. (Writer/Director)

@happycozy wrote:

This is the way it should appear:

28 Days Later. Dir. Danny Boyle. Perf. Cillian Murphy, Naomie Harris, and Brendan Gleeson. Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation, 2002. Film.

Thanks for the clarification. The Film and Broadcast reference type actually uses the Author field to hold the director’s name. Normally changing the sequence of the author/director name is done by changing the Author Name setting in the bibliography section of the MLA output style. However changing the setting so names are listed in first-then-last name order would be a global change that affects all of your other bibliographic references - which isn’t the desired effect since MLA Style lists authors in reverse last-then-first name order.

A workaround that enables listing the director in first/last name order while keeping other authors in reverse last/first name order is to put a comma after the name in the Author field - see attached image. Note that this will also cause the in-text citation to show the director’s name in first/last name order so you will need to manually edit the citation to make a correction.
director name.gif

1 Like

This did the trick! Thanks so much for your help.