citation in another citation... how?

Hello, I’m trying to figure out how to cite one work in another; for example, if I used a reference from Smith 2007 that I found in Chang 2009, I want both to appear in the text and in the bibliography, and I would like my in-text citation to look something like (Smith 2007 in Chang 2009:45). How do I do this? I’ve been trying to figure this one out for a while, and haven’t been able to discover anything that works so far. Any suggestions? 

Thanks,

Rosemary 

you can’t put a field inside a field.  and you can’t italicize a word that is a suffix or a prefix of the citation.  They are all plain text. 

So, this is what I would do.  The easiest would be to type what you want in the parentheses and then after the citation insert the two independent references, and with the edit citation, hide both the author and year for both of them.  They then disappear, leaving you with your typed in version.  (or you can make the inserted references, hidden text, which means you can see them, but they won’t print, which is my preference, so I don’t forget they are there. 

1 Like

Yes, this is what I do too. You cite both references. Using the “edit citation” option, you add the words “cited by” after the first citation. Then for the second citation you hide both the author and the date, again using the “edit citation” window. Problem solved!

Sorry correction on the above post. You cite both references. Using the “edit citation” option, you add the words " in Chang 2009:45" after the first citation. Then for the second citation you hide both the author and the date, again using the “edit citation” window. Problem solved!