Citations fixed, but now citations are repeating and lost bibliography (!)

Dear Endnote Community,

A colleage stopped by and showed me how to get correct in-text citations for one or more author: (Pat & Kelley, 2001) rather than (Pat, 2001).  That is, they showed me that, in the author section of each Endnote entry, I need to list one author on each line. 

But somehow, maybe before they stopped by when I was trying to adjust the styles or maybe while we made this fix, other problems came up.  For the first time (in 4 years) there is no bibliography list of references and the citations are not shaded gray (I checked the Options to make sure document settings are set to shade code field: sometimes or always (tried both)). Also, when I change to one of the Output Styles that is a copy of APA 6th,’  and then update fields MS Word generates doubles of the in-text citations.  And when I try to enter a new Endnote citation in the MS Word text, nothing happens.   

I a backed up file from the day before that is ok (has bibliography, gray fields), but as soon as I add text to it, it seems to start having these problems too.

This sounds like my file is corrupt or something – I am making the final edits on my thesis of 250 pages.  But I am really hoping it is just a few settings.

What settings, etc. should I check to try to figure this out?

Would be so grateful for advice, R

Just to clarify: 1) when you select the output style file are you doing it from the Endnote tab in the MS Word ribbon?; and 2) is your output style file set to generate a bibliography (could you attach your output style file)?,

If you’re able to create, in a brand-new document, proper in-text citations and a corresponding bibliography while using the correct APA output style file that it might be that the original document has one or more corrupted Endnote codes.

Before undertaking the search and correction of any problematic field codes (as described by this knowledge base article http://endnote.com/kb/81143) you might try to see if you can resolve the situation incrementally by:

1. a. First make a backup copy of your original document.
    b. Then use the backup to copy a portion of your thesis, such as the beginning through the first chapter) into a new document. Check the new document and see if you the in-text citations are linked (gray) and if there’s a corresponding bibliography at the end. If those circumstances hold true then you know at least this section is okay.
    c. Continuing working through chapter by chapter to see if the in-text citations are okay as well as the corresponding bibliography. During the process you may come across the corrupted field code – if this happens convert the in-text citations to unformatted citations and examine the chapter to see if you can find and correct the problematic citations.
  2. As an alternative to step #1 you can just proceed with searching and correcting the problematic field codes (as described by the aforementioned knowledge base article http://endnote.com/kb/81143)

Dear CrazyGecko,

Your suggestion for  the first problem with the bibliography seems right on.  I checked my style file and it seems that it is not set to generate a bibliography.  I learned this by comparing it with other styles.  The non-bibliog style showed nothing in the Endnote preview windown, whereas other styles show the preview of the bibliography entry.   Great - one problem 1 solved - hooray!

I’d like to set my APA Copy Style, attached below, to show the bibliography.  How do I do that?

The second problem had to do with in-text citations.  They are doubling when I rry to generate them and cannot be editied as usual.  And additional problem with in-text citations is that my cursor is not shaded gray when I pass over it.  The cause may very well be a corrupt EndNote code.  

QUESTION: Are these problems related?  That is, can a corrupt Endnote code cause problems with gray shading? 

FYI about CAUSE:  I actually wonder whether a corrupt code was created when I accidentally selected (in the options) “show field codes instead of valued,” and then unselected as soon as I saw that this was not what I wanted.  I accidentally checked this box because it is right above the option to select “field shading.”  Could this have triggered the problem?   Do MS Word and Endnote have problems working together?

ACTION by me: Since I have just been working in one (short) chapter since before these problems, I am 99.9% sure the corrupt code is there.  So, I am working with a previous version that seems ok (shows gray shading and allows me to work with citations).  I am just re-pasting the text I typed since this older version, except for citations, which I am adding again too.  If I have more problems, I’ll follow the process based on the article you sent about removing corrupt EndNote codes.

Grateful to have this advice!  Additional comments on my approach very welcome.
APA 6th Copy.ens (2.74 KB)

Your attached APA style has no citation, footnote or bibliography templates?  They are all blank?  I don’t think this can be an output style you are actually using?  

What did you change from APA 6th?  Here is a copy I have to try, but I don’t think I have made any significant changes to this.  

APA 6th-X7.ens (65.3 KB)

Thanks Leanne.  I am sticking with the original APA style now, which generates a bibliography (a good tip from CrazyGecko).  Everything seems to be working all right (knock wood). 

I sure would like to understand how to change the setting with a style so that it generates a bibliography.

Best, R

To create a single bibliography at the end of your document modify the Endnote output style file’s “Sections” so the selection is: Create a complete bibliography at the end of the document. (Refer to attached image #1)

However, as Leanne pointed out, your APA 6th Copy output style file does not have the citation and bibliography templates. Templates are needed to generate the in-text citations and corresponding bibliography. (Refer to attached image #2 to view the comparison between your missing templates in the actual APA 6th templates.) Unless your output style has the templates no bibliography will be generated (even if you selected “Create a complete bibliography at the end of the document.”).

Hi CrazyGecko,

You and Leanne are right, I did not have the template codes for that style, as the attached APA 6th style has (which I am now using).  My citations look good and I have a bibliography.  And I know why it’s working.  Thanks!

I found the corrupt citation code.  How to I get rid of it?   I can’t remove it (Edit Citations > More).  And when I try to Convert to Plain Text, it says it will do this for the whole document.

Best, R
APA 6th.ens (68.9 KB)

Dear EndNote Community,

I have a small problem with the format of my automatically genrated in-text citations.  I want them to come out as (Falk et al., 1978)  and (Orion & Hofstein, 1991), but I am getting  (J. Falk et al., 1978)  and (N. Orion & Hofstein, 1991).  Where is the setting to get rid of this initial letter?

R

@rcors wrote:

I found the corrupt citation code.  How to I get rid of it?   I can’t remove it (Edit Citations > More).  And when I try to Convert to Plain Text, it says it will do this for the whole document.

To facilitate locating and removing the problematic section of coding it helps to turn off CWYW which then converts the citations into “temporary” citations having curly braces. Assuming you have done this and have found the section of code you want to remove you can either 1) select the coding to be deleted then press the delete key: or 2) place the cursor at the end of the problematic coding then press the backspace key until the coding is removed.

Also note that if you are the following the APA 6th format there’s a problem in the Author Lists section of your output style file. Namely, 1) for 1 to 2 authors, delete the “and” appearing in the “between” box; and 2) change the number from “5” to “6” in the Abbreviated Author Lists – First Appearance section.

@rcors wrote:

…I want them to come out as (Falk et al., 1978)  and (Orion & Hofstein, 1991), but I am getting  (J. Falk et al., 1978)  and (N. Orion & Hofstein, 1991).  Where is the setting to get rid of this initial letter?

Inclusion of first name initials is used to differentiate different authors who happen to have the same last name. So you might check if there’s a second but different set of authors named Falk and Orion cited earlier in the document. If you are dealing only with one set of authors this may indicate incongruities between how their names appear in the assorted Endnote records – and requires correcting the Author entry to be consistent across the records.

BTW, when posting questions it’s best to start a different topic with a new thread instead of dove-tailing the question onto a prior thread topic.

Dear CrayzGecko,

I have tried this suggestion to make sure that each author’s names are consistently entered into EndNote and it was the solution.

Your suggestions have saved me headaches and time and I am sincerely grateful.

Cheers from Switzerland, R

Thanks for the update and great you were able to resolve the issue. Best, ~CG