Cited by

How can I insert the words ‘cited by’ in the Vancouver referencing style? For example:

Wahlberg JA, Southard JH, Belzer FO. Development of a cold storage solution for pancreas preservation. Cryobiology. 1986;23:477-82. (Cited by: Stein DG, Drinkwater DC, Laks H, Permut LC, Sangwan S, Chait HI et al. Cardiac preservation in patients undergoing transplantation. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1991;102:657-65.)

I guess I would paste it there, if it were a one off, when I was preparing my manuscript for submission. 

Alternatively you can paste the whole thing into an unused field of the record and include that field in your bibliography template.  It would not be converted to an alternative style though, if you decided to use something other than Vancouver (and you would need to modify the new style).  The long winded way would be to create a completely different reference type, including all that information and a bibliography template to parse it correctly.  I would only go to that much trouble, if it were a common occurrence in your writings. 

Well there is a much better general solution - Endnote has a function to allow the insertion of text within the citation brackets, it is called a “citation prefix”. One uses the “” to invoke the function, as follows in your in text citation (nb - citations must be unformatted, that is, in their “curly braces” form), as follows:

yadda yadda yadda {cited by \Stein, #23222}

it is important to put a space in after the “”, otherwise it will come out like this 

yadda yadda yadda (cited byStein et al 1991)

Excellent reminder, but while that works wonderfully in the citation itself, but is not an option in the reference/bibliography setting.