How to: "X citing Y" form

I’m using the Chicago style of citation and want to know how to properly execute an in-text citation so that it would look like the following:

(Harris 1994:20, citing Albertson 1990:45).

This citation means I am citing Harris 1994, page 20, who is citing Albertson 1990, page 45.

Is there a way to do this properly in EndNote? I know I could insert the Harris citation into word and it would look like this:

(Harris 1994)

and then I could put in the suffix field the following:

20, citing Albertson 1990:45

However, this won’t actually get the proper Albertson citation into the bibliography, so that when I format bibliography, the Albertson citation will not appear in the bibliography.

Thanks! 

I would do as you suggest and type the Albertson details in the Suffix box.

I would then insert the Albertson reference, but use the Exclude Author and Exclude Year options to hide it. It will still appear in the reference list at the end of the document.

2 Likes

AH! Thanks. This is a helpful suggestion albeit a little inelegant. One would think that one could insert a citation within a citation (without typing it in the suffix) but EndNote X2 doesn’t allow that. And not only does it not allow that, it CRASHES BIG TIME (on Mac) when you try to send the command “Format Bibliography” after you insert a citation within a citation.

This is the first we have heard of a crash using EndNote X2 when inserting one citation into another. If you send me a copy of the EndNote and/or Word crash log, I will have the team look into this.

We are in the final stages of development for version X3 for the Macintosh but this is something we would still like to address if time permits.

Jason Rollins, the EndNote team

jason.rollins@thomsonreuters.com