Citing DSM-IV-TR in APA style

Hi there

Can anyone help with my problem?  The correct format for the DSM IV in the reference list in APA style is:

American Psychiatric Association (2000). Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (4th ed., Text Revision). Washington, DC: Author.

In Endnote, how do I include the words ‘Text Revision’ in the edition field or is their somewhere else I can put them?

Also, the first citation in the text is: (American Psychiatric Association, 2000) however thereafter it can be abbreviated to (DSM-IV-TR, 2000) in the body of the text.  Is there some way of having an alternate title such as this which appears after the first citation?

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

To include the “Text Revision” in the bibliography, you need to update both your reference and your style.  Since EndNote’s formatter is already including the “.ed” in the bibliography for the Edition, you’ll need to add a new field to the formatter to get this to work.

Open the APA 6th Style.

Scroll down to the Book Format:

Now insert the field “Type of Work” between Edition and Volume like this:

Edition<link adjacent text)ed.|,<link adjacent text>Type of Work.|<link adjacent text>Vol.<link adjacent text>Volume|)|,

Open the record and add the “Text Revision” to the Type of Work field.

For the secondary citation, EndNote does not have a feature that changes the primary author to a different format.  To achieve this you will need to “Edit Citation” when you cite the DSM IV the second time. 

Highlight the citation you want to change

Right Click and select “Edit Citation” then “more”

In the drop down box choose “Exclude Author”

Now in the Prefix box type DSM IV<space>

Then click Okay

Your citation should now look like (DSM IV 2000)

Sincerely,

Cheryl–The EndNote Team

Hi Cheryl, 

that is all very well but then in the reference list you get 

Association, A.P (2000)…

when it should be American Psychiatric Association (2000)…

HELP!

@rscontentadmin wrote:

Hi,

To include the “Text Revision” in the bibliography, you need to update both your reference and your style.  Since EndNote’s formatter is already including the “.ed” in the bibliography for the Edition, you’ll need to add a new field to the formatter to get this to work.

Open the APA 6th Style.

Scroll down to the Book Format:

Now insert the field “Type of Work” between Edition and Volume like this:

Edition<link adjacent text)ed.|,<link adjacent text>Type of Work.|<link adjacent text>Vol.<link adjacent text>Volume|)|,

Open the record and add the “Text Revision” to the Type of Work field.

For the secondary citation, EndNote does not have a feature that changes the primary author to a different format.  To achieve this you will need to “Edit Citation” when you cite the DSM IV the second time. 

Highlight the citation you want to change

Right Click and select “Edit Citation” then “more”

In the drop down box choose “Exclude Author”

Now in the Prefix box type DSM IV<space>

Then click Okay

Your citation should now look like (DSM IV 2000)

Sincerely,

Cheryl–The EndNote Team

enter a comma after  American Psychiatric Association  in the record.

Thank you!!! 

You have no idea how many hours I spent trying to fix this.

Hi I am having the same problem that you had, I wanted to know how did you sort it out? whine I cite American pscyhology association it cites it as (Association 2000), Please help

That worked well, Thanx