Citing Government Documents in MLA 9th

Hi all,

I am teaching a class how to use EndNote Online, and I am a bit stuck on how to show them to cite Government Documents properly according to MLA Style. The general style is supposed to look like this:

Author. Title of Document: Subtitle if Given. Edition if given and is not first edition, Name of Government Primary Agency, Publication Date, URL. Accessed Day Month Year site was visited.

Select Standing Committee on Children and Youth. Children and Youth with Neuro-Diverse Special Needs. Legislative Assembly of British Columbia, Oct. 2019, https://www.leg.bc.ca/content/CommitteeDocuments/41st-parliament/4th-session/cay/Report_SSC-CY_41-4-1_Neuro-Diverse-Special-Needs.pdf. Accessed 1 Sept. 2021.|

However, I can’t figure out how to get it to look correct in EndNote Online. For instance, I was trying to cite this:
United States, Congress, House, Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence. *Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act.*Government Publishing Office, 17 Apr. 2012, - THE FUTURE OF LEARNING: HOW TECHNOLOGY IS TRANSFORMING PUBLIC SCHOOLS. 112th Congress, 2nd Session, House Report 112-445. Accessed 22 Oct. 2019.

So I put House in the Department line and Permanent Committee on Intelligence in the Government Body line, and also included a URL. However, this is what it ends up looking like:

United States, Congress, House,. “Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act.” Ed. House: Government Publishing Office, 2012. Print.

It won’t show the URL or the access date and keeps putting in Ed. Any advice on what I am doing wrong?

It sounds like the template in this style needs tweaking.
If you edit the output style and look at the bibliography template for “Government Document”. It is probably missing the URL & Access date fields. You’ll need to add them.
Use the pipes and link adjacent text so that the edition will only display if the field has data e.g. |, Edition ed.|.
Keep tweaking till you get a uniform result that displays to your satisfaction.
This only fixes it for you so you’ll have to share it. But your IT department should be able to include the new/updated style in the programme package that future users download.

The problem is that you aren’t able to easily edit output styles in Endnote Online. Do you have access to the desktop version and an administrator who can make the amended style available to your online community? I think you need a Web of Science institutional access account to have an administrator, but not sure since Clarivate took over? If you do have an Endnote site license, I would reach out to customer support for more information on editing styles for online users.