Converting in-text citations to footnotes/endnotes

You would need to place the cursor in the text where you need the number to appear.  You would then use Word to create the footnote/endnote.  Then you would have to cite the reference in the footnote created by Word and delete the old citation in the text.

Ok, so there is NO efficient workaround and ALL references have to INDIVIDUALLY be re-done manually?

Is Thompson considering a conversion between Chicago type A and type B at all? Do you know of any other programs that can handle this?

If you have anything, anything at all, that might help with this I and so many others would be very grateful.

Message Edited by Sententia on 07-02-2009 08:30 PM

The information I received from

Thompson Reuters was (unfortunately) that there is no simple way:

You cannot automatically convert citations to footnotes since Word is used to create the actual footnotes, but you can unformat the document so that your references are in their temporary citation format. You can then use Word to create the footnotes and then cut and paste the temporary citation in the Word made Footnote. The same way you would create footnotes with EndNote normally, except you cut and paste the temporary citation instead of inserting a new one.

Then you just need to format using the correct output style.

This has been laborious but has worked except for one chapter where the endnotes will NOT revert back from unformatted citations. This is a big problem and I’m not sure how to fix it. Any ideas? Any tips? Anything…Anyone?!

Jane Kreis

@janekreis wrote:

This has been laborious but has worked except for one chapter where the endnotes will NOT revert back from unformatted citations. This is a big problem and I’m not sure how to fix it. Any ideas? Any tips? Anything…Anyone?!

Jane Kreis

Are they “fields”?  are they grey if you click in them and if you “show field codes” (Alt F9) do they contain the endnote codes? 

Hi there,

Actually there is a way to convert In-Text citations to endnotes/footnotes, by employing the following Word Macro.  Please note that this Macro was originally written by Shyam Ranganathan, though I’ve improved it a bit…  It’s not perfect, so do check the results and make the necessary touch-ups (i.e. in cases of citations directly following quotations), but overall, it does SAVE A LOT OF TIME…
Enjoy :slight_smile:

Miriam

======================== 

Sub intext2footnote()
Dim vLastSectionI, vField, i, J
J = ActiveDocument.Sections.Count
For i = 1 To ActiveDocument.Sections.Count
If i = J Then Exit Sub
Set myRange = ActiveDocument.Sections(i).Range
For Each vField In myRange.Fields
Selection.GoTo What:=wdGoToField, Which:=wdGoToNext, Count:=1, Name:= _
“ADDIN”
Selection.Find.ClearFormatting
With Selection.Find
.Text = “{ }”
.Replacement.Text = “”
.Forward = True
.Wrap = wdFindContinue
.Format = False
.MatchCase = False
.MatchWholeWord = False
.MatchWildcards = False
.MatchSoundsLike = False
.MatchAllWordForms = False
End With
Selection.MoveRight Unit:=wdCharacter, Count:=1, Extend:=wdExtend
Selection.Cut
With ActiveDocument.Bookmarks
.Add Range:=Selection.Range, Name:=“temp”
.DefaultSorting = wdSortByName
.ShowHidden = False
End With
ActiveDocument.Endnotes.Add Range:=Selection.Range, Reference:=""
Selection.Paste
Selection.GoTo What:=wdGoToPage, Which:=wdGoToNext, Name:=“1”
With Selection.Find
.Text = “{ }”
.Replacement.Text = “”
.Forward = True
.Wrap = wdFindContinue
.Format = False
.MatchCase = False
.MatchWholeWord = False
.MatchWildcards = False
.MatchSoundsLike = False
End With
Selection.GoTo What:=wdGoToBookmark, Name:=“temp”
With Selection.Find
.Text = “{ }”
.Replacement.Text = “”
.Forward = True
.Wrap = wdFindContinue
.Format = False
.MatchCase = False
.MatchWholeWord = False
.MatchWildcards = False
.MatchSoundsLike = False
End With
With Selection.Find
.Text = “{ }”
.Replacement.Text = “”
.Forward = True
.Wrap = wdFindContinue
.Format = False
.MatchCase = False
.MatchWholeWord = False
.MatchWildcards = False
.MatchSoundsLike = False
End With
ActiveDocument.Bookmarks(“temp”).Delete
.ShowHidden = False
End With
Selection.MoveRight Unit:=wdCharacter, Count:=1
Next vField
Next i
End Sub

Oh, two more thing I forgot to mention on my original post (with the in-text citation to footnotes/endnotes Macro):

1. In this macro the conversion is being done to endnotes.  If you wish to directly conduct a conversion to footnotes (i.e. rather than first running the Macro for converting to footnotes and then using word shortcut menu to convert them to endnote), simply change the “Endnotes” to “Footnote” in the following line of code:

1. The quoted Word-macro works under the assumption that your references are placed at the end of the document in a seperate section.  If they aren’t, the code AS IS won’t work.  One could make it work, though, by deleting lines 3-6, as well as the second line from the end, and changin the 7th line to:

For Each vField In ActiveDocument.Fields

However, this would result in a superflous endnote attached to the referecnes list, which once deleted, takes the referecnes list away, so that you’d need to reaaply the output style in order to regain the references :frowning:

Miriam

Hello,

thank you for posting the Makro-text, it sounds very promising, though I don´t know how to handle makro´s in word 2007. Can anyone explain the procedure to use the makro posted so that a amateur can work with it as well? Is this makro also compatible with the APA5th style or do I have to change something in the text?

Thanks in advance,

Irene

Hi Irene,

As for your second question (i.e. APA 5th): If you’re asking whether the Macro would work for a document ALREADY formatted in APA 5th which you would like to convert to a style using footnotes/endnotes instead of in-text citations (e.g. Chicago A), then the answer is YES!  If it’s the other way around, then the macro, unfortunatelly, cannot help.

As for your first question:

After copying the macro to the clipboard (Ctrl+C),without the “=====” lines at the begining and the end, go to Word 2007 and follow these steps:

1. from the “View” ribbon/tab,click on “Macros”, and then choose “View Macros” from the drop down list/menu.

2. At the new dialog box/window, click in the Macro Name box, and type something there (doesn’t matter what as longs as it is without spaces)

3. Click on the “Create” button, at the right hand of the dialog box.

4. MS-Word launches the VBA ediotr: 

5. On the “New Macro (code)” window, delete the lines stating with “Sub the name you gave on step 2” and Ending with “End Sub”

6. Paste the Macro (Ctrl + V)

7. Close the “Visual Basic for Application” editor window → this should return you back to Word.

8. Click on the Office button (at the top-left hand corner of the screen), and then click on “Word Options” button

9. At the Left hand of the new window, click on “Customize”

10. At the Right hand of the screen, from the “choose from commands” box, choose “Macros”

11. Under that box, you should be able to see now a list of available Macros, one of them should be: “Normal.NewMacros.intext2footnote.” → click it, and then click on the “Add” button (at the middle of the screen/window)

12)  Click on the “Modify” button (under the long box to which you’ve added your macro)

13)  At the new dialog box that is displayed with lots of icons, choose the icon to be displayed on the button that will launch your macro, and then click “OK”

1. Click OK again at the word options window → this should get you back to Word.

If all is well, you should be able to see a new button on the Quick Access Toolbar (under the Ribbon) with the icon you’ve just designated.  Clicking on this button will run the macro (make sure you do this only once you’ve placed the cursor at the begining of the text.)

Hope this helps…

Miriam

Wow thank you so much for the clear instructions and the macro.  It totally worked for me (once I realised that a page break was not the same as a section break…) and saved me hours of work manually converting the references!  I am not what one would call an expert user so really helpful to have it broken down stage by stage.  Thanks so much.

All of the above was very clear, but unfortunately didn’t work at all.  Any idea of what I could be doing wrong.

Hi Phyllis,

Sorry for the long delay in responding to your question…

Chances are that your document has only one section, while the macro’s code is written under the (plausible) assumption that you have at least 2 sections (i.e. the second one for endnotes).  If this is not the case (e.g. you use only footnotes), simply create a temporary new section at the end of your document, and then try to run the macro again.  Once done, mark the whole endnotes section (CTRL + A when the cursor is within this section), convert it to footnotes (right-click the marked section, and then, simply delete the white space left behind so that you erase the second section created in the beginning of this process.

Hope this would be of help…

Miriam

Peter, 

When I get to the point of  entering the citation in the footnote space generated by the Word note system, can I cut and past the citation (or longer material) into the footnote space? Or, do I have retype that material?  I have a manuscript with scores of endnote/footnotes but all of that material, while separately entered in my manuscript and so would appear in printed format as “Endnotes”  appears to my editor’s computer as if were text.

The trouble, as you can probably deduce, is that I did not create those ‘notes’ using the Word auto endnote/footnote application. Instead they were created as separate Word Documents and then I copied and pasted them into each chapter of the manuscript. 

I really hope that there’s a saving grace to all this.

Thanks for any help you can think of. 

Ken

could sent me screenshots exactly how you do that because i cant find how really works. Im interesting on converting in text citations to footnote only.

Hi Miriam!

I have been working with this macro that you suggested for a while now and can’t figure out why it is not working for me. 

Here is what I am trying to accomplish:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DufKpBXTCti1Mq6YOu_IFmLTAWV_H9l4J6NqR5I2HwI/edit?hl=en_US

I cannot figure out how to adapt your code to something that will work for our purposes! Can you help? I would rather the notes end up as footnotes than as endnotes, but if I can get the code to work for endnotes, then I can just convert them to footnotes separately. 

Let me know ASAP if you think this is possible!

Thanks, 

Katie

Technical Support also has some tools to convert in-text citations to footnotes and footnotes to in-text citations. If you contact Technical Support, we can assist with these conversions:

http://www.endnote.com/support/entechform.asp

Jason Berman
Technical Sup Rep RS

Thomson Reuters

Phone: +1 800-336-4474
thomsonreuters.com

Thank you Miriam for your post. Yes, the macro does work.

I am not a techie, but I do pay attention to directions in a very detailed manner.  I usually do not give comments online, but I thought I needed to do this because Miriam just saved me a lot of headache and time trying to convert my dissertation manuscript from a format in which I used EndNote X6 to create (with JAMA style), to one which my professor prefers (he prefers the one where you have consecutively numbered citations with MS Word footnotes inserted below each page).

Typically, inserting footnotes (using Word footnote features and citations inserted with EndNote software) is an easy task if you start this process from the beginning. It becomes difficult when you want to convert your document (which could run into hundreds of pages) containing citations and references (initially created using only the EndNote software) back into a document with footnotes and bibliography (that is arranged in alphabetical order).

I found that the macro may not work if you have page breaks and section breaks within your doument and you run the macro without first modifying it like Miriam suggested (i.e., deleting lines 3-6, second to the last line, and replacing line 7 with the suggested code line). However, if you modify the macro, you do not have to remove your already formatted document before running the macro. Also, remember to grant access to the macro by changing the security settings (for Word 2010, the navigation is file>options>trust center>trust center settings>macro settings>enable all macros) (remeber to change this back to the original setting once you’ve successfully run the macro).

The following directions below was exactly what I followed in order to format from Endnote JAMA (without Word footnote) to Chicago 16th A style with Word footnote.

1. Follow the direction given by Miriam in copying the macro below into Word

2. run macro

3. Go to the end of your document. You will find citations having only roman numerals (this was created by the macro) and the original references from your document.

4. Change the citations having only Roman numerals (i.e., i, ii, iii, iv, etc) into Word endnote (i.e., those containing both the Roman numerals and word-form citations following the roman numerals, by changing the style within the Word document to ‘Chicago 16th A’ (meanwhile, I reformatted the Chicago 16th A style to look like JAMA style within the edit section of EndNote X6).

5. select (4)(i.e., select all the Word endnotes)

6. right click on (5) to change the format before converting the Word endnotes to footnotes. Paragraph: align left, body text, indentation: left 0, right 0, special none; Spacing: before 0, after 10pt, line spacing multiple, at 1.15.  

7. select  (6)

8. right click (7) and select convert to change the endnotes to footnotes (You will now have a document that have the in-text citations as footnotes on each page. Towards the end of your document, you will have the bibliography arranged alphabetically and references numbered consecutively).

I hope this helps others in my shoe trying to change the formatting of their document.

Sub intext2footnote()
Dim vLastSectionI, vField, i, J
For Each vField In ActiveDocument.Fields
Selection.GoTo What:=wdGoToField, Which:=wdGoToNext, Count:=1, Name:= _
“ADDIN”
With Selection.Find
.Text = “{ }”
.Replacement.Text = “”
.Forward = True
.Wrap = wdFindContinue
.Format = False
.MatchCase = False
.MatchWholeWord = False
.MatchWildcards = False
.MatchSoundsLike = False
End With
Selection.Cut
.Add Range:=Selection.Range, Name:=“temp”
.ShowHidden = False
End With
Selection.Paste
Selection.GoTo What:=wdGoToPage, Which:=wdGoToNext, Name:=“1”
With Selection.Find
.Text = “{ }”
.Replacement.Text = “”
.Forward = True
.Wrap = wdFindContinue
.Format = False
.MatchCase = False
.MatchWholeWord = False
.MatchWildcards = False
.MatchSoundsLike = False
End With
Selection.GoTo What:=wdGoToBookmark, Name:=“temp”
With Selection.Find
.Text = “{ }”
.Replacement.Text = “”
.Forward = True
.Wrap = wdFindContinue
.Format = False
.MatchCase = False
.MatchWholeWord = False
.MatchWildcards = False
.MatchSoundsLike = False
End With
With Selection.Find
.Text = “{ }”
.Replacement.Text = “”
.Forward = True
.Wrap = wdFindContinue
.Format = False
.MatchCase = False
.MatchWholeWord = False
.MatchWildcards = False
.MatchSoundsLike = False
End With
ActiveDocument.Bookmarks(“temp”).Delete
.ShowHidden = False
End With
Selection.MoveRight Unit:=wdCharacter, Count:=1
Next vField
End Sub

Hi all …

I needed to convert in-text refs like (Jones 2010:23) or (Peters 2011:19-23) to footnote refs of the format

…, p. 23.

…, pp. 19-23.

and if the in-text citation does not show the author, then switch author on in the footnote

This macro is a modification of the one posted by Miriam way back in 2009 from one created by Shyam Ranganathan.

I have removed redundant code (which you get when you record a macro), and added comments so those not too familiar with VBA can see what’s happening.

You can un-comment the message boxes (just delete ’ in 'MsgBox …) to see what’s happening.

The code could be improved further, but it works OK … at least for me (Word 2007, Windows 7).

Happy conversions!!!

PS: To make this work for Endnotes just change ActiveDocument.Footnotes.Add to ActiveDocument.Endnotes.Add

Public Sub ConvertIntextToFootnote()

Dim oField As Field
Dim sCode As String
Dim sSuffix As String
Dim sSuffixLeft As String
Dim sSuffixRight As String
Dim pos1 As Long
Dim pos2 As Long

'Loop through all fields in the document

For Each oField In ActiveDocument.Fields

'Is the field an Endnote field?

If InStr(oField.Code.Text, “EN.CITE”) = 0 Then GoTo Bypass:

oField.Select

'Modify the Suffix in the field code … <Suffix>text</Suffix>, if one exists

sCode = oField.Code.Text
    'MsgBox sCode
    pos1 = InStr(sCode, “<Suffix>”)

If pos1 > 0 Then 'suffix exists, so extract it

sSuffixLeft = Left(sCode, pos1 + 7)
        'MsgBox sSuffixLeft
        pos2 = InStr(sCode, “</Suffix>”)
        sSuffixRight = Right(sCode, Len(sCode) - pos2 + 1)
        'MsgBox sSuffixRight
        sSuffix = Mid(sCode, pos1 + 8, pos2 - (pos1 + 8))
        'MsgBox sSuffix

'If no dash, replace : with p. else with  pp.

If InStr(sSuffix, “-”) > 0 Then
            sSuffix = Replace(sSuffix, “:”, " pp. ")
        Else
            sSuffix = Replace(sSuffix, “:”, " p. ")
        End If

'Add a full stop

sSuffix = sSuffix + “.”
        'MsgBox sSuffix

'Now rebuild the code

sCode = sSuffixLeft + sSuffix + sSuffixRight

'Set the new code in the field

oField.Code.Text = sCode
        'MsgBox oField.Code.Text

End If

'If author is excluded, show the author

If InStr(sCode, “ExcludeAuth=”“1"”") > 0 Then

oField.Code.Text = Replace(sCode, “ExcludeAuth=”“1"”", “”)

End If

Selection.Cut

'Add temporary bookmark so we can return to the Main Story

.Add Range:=Selection.Range, Name:=“tempqxtz”
        .ShowHidden = False
    End With

'Add the Footnote

ActiveDocument.Footnotes.Add Range:=Selection.Range, Reference:=""
    Selection.Paste

'Return to Main Story

Selection.GoTo What:=wdGoToBookmark, Name:=“tempqxtz”

'Delete the temporary bookmark

ActiveDocument.Bookmarks(“tempqxtz”).Delete

Bypass:

Next oField

MsgBox “Process Complete”, vbOKOnly + vbInformation, “Convert In-text Citations to Footnotes”

End Sub

1 Like

Dear Miriam,

I have a phd thesis which I have to organize according to author-date style. My references are improperly cited and are in different styles, so I just downloaded the Endnote trial version to help me organize references and bibliography. This is my first encounter with this program and I am having some difficulties.

So I have a cople of quesitons:

1. I need to transfer each reference manually from my thesis in Word, into Endnote, is that right?

2. My references are not properly written, so I thought that inserting them into Endnote and indicating the style I need, the program would automatically correct the references, or do I have to break down each reference myself and put each part of the reference in appropriate window? i.e. author in the author window, year in the year window,etc. This would require huge work ! I thought that Endnote did this, maybe I didn’t understand, could you please help me figure out how to do that? 

Thanks in advance

duplicate post here

http://community.thomsonreuters.com/t5/EndNote-General/Using-Endnote-for-the-first-time/m-p/126250#M23517

here is  free movie sites  to watch you favorite movies online.