Creating in-text citations using superscripted letters

Hi all:

Is there an existing output style or perhaps a way to create an output style with the following format (i.e., with superscripted lettered in-text citations):

Amazing point I am making.a,b

References

a. First author last name first initial, Second author last name first initial (Year) Article Title. Journal title Vol pp-pp.

b. First author last name First initial (Year) Article Title. Journal Title Vol (Iss): pp-pp.

I haven’t been able to identify a an output style that uses superscripted letters for the format of in-text citations and lettered superscripts do not appear to be available to modify an existing output style.

Thanks in advance!

Sounds to me like you should be able to achieve this using a footnote style.  You insert and handle the footnote (or “endnote” if at the end of the document) using your MS Word insert footnote options and settings, then insert the EndNote record, formated as defined in the EndNote footnote style you select and the template options.  Is this style defined somewhere?   

Thanks for your quick response, Leanne.

The style is requested by a governing body for their documents. In the past, we have used the “endnotes” feature in MSWord to achieve the style, but then struggled with ordering as it doesn’t reorder sequentially, but by timing of insertion. 

Using MSWord’s footnote feature might resolve the issue with sequential ordering. Or is there a way to sequentially order with MSWord’s endnote feature? If footnoting, any ideas on how to create a bibliography list this way, as opposed to footnoting the references at the bottom of each page? 

Not sure if an output style already exists that uses this format?

I am not great with footnotes/endnotes, as we rarely use that kind of style in the sciences.  But – I went into the footnote/endnote dialogue and there are settings for the a, b thing, and where the “endnotes” go.  When I tested it, with Chicago 16th A (a footnote/bibliography style) I was able to go back and insert an endnote between two preexisting endnote, and Word re-lettered them in the expected order.  Office 365 proPlus, version 15.0.4805.1003) and EndNote 7.5.  

You can easily convert footnotes already inserted – (googled it)  See image attached.  

To convert all footnotes or endnotes:

1. Open the document and select the References tab.
  2. Click the Footnote & Endnote Dialog Box launcher (it appears as a small square in the bottom-right corner of the tab). Then click Convert… .
  3. Click OK or Apply .

As for the output style to get what is described.  that is a bit harder - as viewing the footnote output for existing styles is impossible without formatting them.  But the place to start is looking at footnote styles on the endnote websitefrom your area or from your publisher – So if you are in History or Humanities start with those.  Add the publisher to further limit the list you need to look at (I didn’t fill in that field in the link, but you only need to fill in a few letters of the publisher - then hit “apply”).     Once you find something that is close, you can edit it further using the guide you can download from the links here or post the output style you have here (or in the style forum, really doesn’t matter) and what is wrong for further tweaking.  – You will need more information than you provided in the original, for example, other publication types, how to handle multiple authors (if 20 authors, do all 20 show, or only the first x number followed by et al, for example).  In addition to your posting, provide a link to the publishers directions on how to format the references is the best way to provide the information needed, so we other Endnote users can help without doing a lot of research?   

Thanks again for your help, Leanne.  I agree, footnoting/endnoting is not well used in the Sciences, which might explain my lack of familiarity with them. Unfortunately, the governing body that made the request is not a publisher and I could not find anything by/for them when I previously looked into the output styles. My question was intended to be more general, as I have never seen in-text citations using superscripted letters. I appreciate the time and energy it took for you to answer my question, especially considering how vague it was!  Thanks again - I will keep your suggestions in mind for any future inquiries/posts. 

1 Like