Dependent fields

Chicago style specifies using DOI or URL for electronic journal articles, but the included Chicago 16th Footnote Style includes both. Is there a way to modify the Style so that it will only show the URL if the DOI field is blank? I feel like there is a way to do this, but I can’t quite figure it out.

Use the “Field Substitutions” feature within the output style to use the URL when the DOI field is blank.

Go to the Endnote toolbar and select Edit >Output Styles >Edit Chicago 16th. in the pop-up dialog box locate the Field Substitutions field and make the designated changes. After completing the changes close the dialog box which will save the modifications as the new output style file with the word “Copy” appended. Change the settings in Endnote tab within the MS word toolbar to use the new output style file.

Thanks for your help! Now how do I have it not do that for some Templates? I don’t need to have a URL for books, for instance, if there’s no DOI.

Now how do I have it not do that for some Templates? I don’t need to have a URL for books, for instance, if there’s no DOI.

Are you saying then you have some Book references which don’t have a DOI but do have a URL? For those particular references you may need to relocate the URL information within each applicable record into another field (e.g., Research Notes) as the Endnote field substitutions feature does not enable specific exceptions at this time.