Where can I put the URL in Journal Article so that it appears in the bibliography?

Hello there.

If anyone has any tips on this question I’d be grateful to hear them.

I imported a reference into Endnote X4 for a journal article. The imported reference now appears in my Endnote library as exactly that, a journal entry. However, there is no DOI for this article so I want to add the URL instead. If I put the URL in the DOI field then the letters ‘doi:’ appear in front of it so that is no good. I’ve tried putting the URL in all the available unused field eg start page, date, type of article etc but it either doesn’t appear in the bibliography reference at all or it appears in the middle of the reference whereas I want it at the end. The DOI field would be ideal if it didn’t automatically produce those confounded doi letters.

I’m using Chicago 16th B.

I’m a novice with Endnote so I’d rather avoid trying to adjust templates and things like that, if possible.

Thanks,

Jasper

Although you express reservations about modifying the Chicago 15th B output styles template, modification is the best, easy, and simple solution. The only non-template-modification optional would be to convert the document and to a text format and manually typing-in the URL in the paper - but this method would render the document unable to link back to the EndNote libary’s references.  This format is impractical as it doesn’t permit editing (i.e., adding/deleting/changing) of the original in-text citations and bibliography.

Modifying the output style template is very simple and allows use and placement of an EndNote field name within a template:

1. Go to the EndNote toolbar, select EDIT, OUTPUT STYLES, EDIT Chicago 15th B.  (This will cause the Chicago 15th B style window to pop-up.)

2. *Within the Chicago 15th B style, locate the “Bibliography” entry in the left column then click to select the “Templates” heading.  (This will cause the templates to appear on the right.)

3.  *Among the templates, locate Journal Article.  The place your cursor where you want the URL to appear then either: 1) type in the word: URL or 2) Click the “Insert Field” button to locate the select the URL field name.

1. Close the Chicago 15th B style.  You will be prompted to save the style.  Note that EndNote saves the style as a copy (i.e., Chicago 15th B Copy) so you will need to reset your EndNote and MS Word settings to use the Chicago 15th B Copy file.

* For steps #2-3, refer the attached image.

1 Like

Hi CrazyGecko,

Thanks for that great tip. I’m not a Luddite at all so when someone explains step-by-step as you did I have no problem following. Thanks again for taking the time to help me get it sorted out.

While I’m here I hope you don’t mind my asking another question as it is related. If it is a faux pas to ask a continuing question please let me know and I’ll make a new post. I’ve done a Google search on this and I know other people have the same issue seemingly unresolved. The URLs appear in in my essay biblio in blue and underlined whereas I would rather they appear in black and not underlined. I can change them manually but, obviously, they change back each time I ‘update citations’. I can also wait until my essay is finished, break the link between my essay and Endnote and then change them manually. But it would be more convenient if I could change them in Endnote instead so they are black and not underlined.

Do you know of any way to solve this one?

Best regards,

Jasper

@jasper wrote:

The URLs appear in in my essay biblio in blue and underlined whereas I would rather they appear in black and not underlined. I can change them manually but, obviously, they change back each time I ‘update citations’. I can also wait until my essay is finished, break the link between my essay and Endnote and then change them manually. But it would be more convenient if I could change them in Endnote instead so they are black and not underlined.

Do you know of any way to solve this one?

Glad you were able to adjust your Chicago 15th template.  As for the hyperlink color this is an issue with MS Word, not Endnote - MS Word’s default hyperlink color needs to be manually changed from blue to black.

You did not identify your OS so the steps are described below (based on Word 2010 for Windows [7]):

**Refer to Image1 for Steps 1-3**

1. Open the MS Word document that contains the hyperlinks (URLs) you want to change from blue to black. 

1. From MS Word’s Home tab, click the Change Styles button (or use the ALT + CTRL + SHIFT + S keys). This will cause the Styles window to pop-up on-screen.

1. Within the Styles window, scroll down the list, locate “Hyperlink” and click its pull-down menu to select “Modify”.  This will cause a second pop-up window (Modify Style) to appear on-screen.

**Refer to Image 2 for Steps 4-5**

1. In the Modify Style window, change the default blue color by clicking on the pull-down menu then selecting black (Automatic). 

*Post-message additional step:  At this point, also click the “U” button which will remove the underlining feature. (Overlooked including this in the original posting.)

1. Notice in the preview window that the hyperlinks now appear in black.  Also note that you have the option of having the black hyperlink format for the current document or for new documents based on this template.

Click OK to close the Modify Style window and return to the main document.

**Refer to Image 3 for Step 6**

1. The color for the hyperlinks in your document now appear in black.  Close the styles box.

1 Like

That is great! All in black and not underlined :slight_smile:

Thanks for helping me. I’m determined to go and do someone a favour myself today.

Regards,

Jasper