Download PDF from website directly into Endnote citation

Thank you for your help.  Often I search for references within Endnote, but I am unable to download the full text, which means I have to obtain the full text from a website database.  Up till now, I’ve been downloading the PDFs from the website onto my Windows desktop and then dragging the PDF from my desktop into the relevant citation in Endnote.  Instead of downloading the PDF to my computer, is there a way to download the PDF directly into the relevant citation in my Endnote library from the website?

@hsrstud wrote:
…Often I search for references within Endnote, but I am unable to download the full text, which means I have to obtain the full text from a website database.  Up till now, I’ve been downloading the PDFs from the website onto my Windows desktop and then dragging the PDF from my desktop into the relevant citation in Endnote.  Instead of downloading the PDF to my computer, is there a way to download the PDF directly into the relevant citation in my Endnote library from the website?

I am not clear about your question. Start with telling us your Endnote version.  You can’t download the full text after importing from a database?  after you move the reference into your library, do you mean, if you right click it and select “download full text” it comes back with a “can’t” and so then you go to the website?  That happens sometimes, although less often in X3 than it did in X2.  This capacity was implemented in X2, so if you are using an earlier version, than dragging and dropping is your only option (unless you upgrade). 

Thank you for following up Leanne.

Actually, my question doesn’t relate to the first part of what I said.  Many times I’m able to download the full text.  However, in some instances (especially when an article has not been officially published, but is shown early on the website) I am unable to download the citation automatically into Endnote by searching for the publication within Endnote (I don’t think there is anything that can be done about this).  When this is the case, I go to the website and download/export the citation to Endnote.  My question is whether there is any way to download/export the full text directly into Endnote as well as the citation.  It seems strange to me that when I download/export the citation into Endnote, the full text isn’t downloaded/exported as well.

X3 is better at this than X2, but sometimes due to vagaries of the journal sites, it just doesn’t work, even if you have access, clicking thru the URL. 

It may be that specific publishers make those “pre-print” or online versions - due to their more temporary nature, “less accessible” to the robotic retrieve that Endnote uses.  Thomson tells me they are always interested in exploring publisher sites that “don’t work” to see if they can work with those publishers to find a fix, so I would report recurrent problems to Tech support. 

Ok, I’ll report the journal to Endnote.  Thanks again.