EndNote 9 Extremely Slow

Hi all,

My EndNote 9 is extremely slow. It takes 3-4 minutes to add a single reference, edit a reference or change the format of the reference (e.g. Author first). That equals 9-12 minutes spent per reference at times.

I cannot switch off insttant formatting as I have to insert page numbers as  I go as part of my referencing style.

I have also switched off Track Change. The Chapter has abou 310 references in - surely EndNote must be able to handle this?

Please help…I am at my wit’s end with this software and am in the middle of my PhD.

Mac or PC (I assume you mean EndNoteX9 not EndNote9).  

How many styles have you installed?   If there are too many it affects the speed of the program (thousands rather than hundreds). 

You can make sure there aren’t any corrupted citations by converting to temporary/unformated citations (NOT PLAIN).  You can then remove any field codes (try now to convert to PLAIN) (ALTHOUGH probably not the best idea if you also have tables of contents or other fields in the document though).   Do this on a copy.   

Lots of images inserted?  (I recommend you insert images last). 

You can input pages in the unformatted citations.  Just put in the @ and the numbers.  (You will see how they look when you converted from formated to unformated citations).  

{Abdul Motaleb, 1996 #158@1-4}

@leanne wrote:

Mac or PC (I assume you mean EndNoteX9 not EndNote9).  

How many styles have you installed?   If there are too many it affects the speed of the program (thousands rather than hundreds). 

You can make sure there aren’t any corrupted citations by converting to temporary/unformated citations (NOT PLAIN).  You can then remove any field codes (try now to convert to PLAIN) (ALTHOUGH probably not the best idea if you also have tables of contents or other fields in the document though).   Do this on a copy.   

Lots of images inserted?  (I recommend you insert images last). 

You can input pages in the unformatted citations.  Just put in the @ and the numbers.  (You will see how they look when you converted from formated to unformated citations).  

thanks for the awesome information.