Endnote Formats Dissertation References Wrong for APA 6th

Hi, 

I am, admittedly, an EndNote noob, but I’ve been searching to solve something to no avail.  

I’m pretty sure that EndNote 4 for Mac doesn’t correctly format references for dissertations.  For example, this is what a dissertation reference looks like from EndNote:

Reames, R. R. (1995). Literature, music education, and characteristics of selected Virginia beginning high school choirs. Ph.D. 9541718, The Florida State University, United States – Florida. Retrieved from http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?did=741057541&Fmt=7&clientId=3740&RQT=309&VName=PQD  

This is what is should look like according to the APA manual:

Reames, R. R. (1995). Literature, music education, and characteristics of selected Virginia beginning high school choirs. Retrieved from ProQuest Digital Dissertations. (AAT 9541718)

Is there a way to fix this?  Again, I apologize if I’m missing something.  

You can edit the APA 6th output style to generate whatever your requirements are.  Are the “Proquest … Dissertations” and the AAT number in specific fields?  Does APA really not want to know what kind of thesis it was or from where?  “Save as” the style to a new name and make sure the manuscript is set to use this new style.  You may have to browse the output styles to select it. 

You would adjust APA 6th  output style template for Thesis: deleting the crossed out text and to include the red items (replacing the ATTNumber-field name with the fieldname containing that information?).  

Author. |(Year). Title. Degree| Thesis Type|, University|, City|. |Retrieved from URL| Available from Database Provider Name of Database database.| |(AATNumber-field)|

If you are still having problems, attach the output style you are using to the a message here.  Also Review the “Getting started guide” (a pdf manual usually located in then endnote installation folder)  on Output style selection and consider signing up for a webinar  to get up to speed on the many functionalities of the program.

(PS the text ProQuest Digital Dissertations must be in the “name of database” field in the record.)

1 Like

Thank you!

I do agree that the APA requirements are a bit odd.  The only time they want to know where the dissertation is from is when it’s unpublished.

Thanks for information.

Regards!

Orange County Noles Inc.

P.O. Box 621171 Orlando Florida 32862-1171

Phone: 407-230-5685

Email: CoachHarold@OCNoles.org