Endnote is too slow

I have used Endnote for years.  However, Version X7.0.2, with Word 2013, is so slow it had become painful.  For every reference I add, I end up sitting around watching my screen as endnote tells me it is collecting intext citations,formatting bibliography, updating bibliography…Endnote X7 not responding…Endnote starts working again, updating bibliography…

Delete a reference, change a reference, it all starts again.  When trying to write anything these days, I seem to spend most of my time watching Endnote notifications cycle repeatedly across my screen!   This is far from helpful, is down right irritating, and not time efficient.   I have turned off just about everything I know to turn off and it stills runs slow. 

Does anyone have a solution?  The computer I am using is definitely not slow, BTW.  It has a superfast processor, too much memory, and SSDs.   

I had the exact same issue, and got help: http://community.thomsonreuters.com/t5/EndNote-General/Endnote-X7-EXTREMELY-Slow-on-Rather-Fast-Hardware-OS-X/td-p/55493

So far it has been working out. Hope I won’t have to do this every couple of weeks. We’ll see.

I got to solve this problem in Window 7 64-bit to EndNote 7 and 7.1**.**

Follow my tutorial and solve your problem too.

Step 1:

Delete the Word Data registry key

Most of the frequently used options in Word are stored in the Word Data registry key. A common troubleshooting step is to delete the Word Data registry key. The next time that you start Word, Word rebuilds the Word Data registry key by using the default settings.

To view these options in Word 2002 or Word 2003, click  Options  on the  Tools menu.

To view these options in Word 2007, click the Microsoft Office Button, and then click  Word Options.

Note  When you delete the Word Data registry key, Word resets several options to their default settings. One such option is the “most recently used file” list on the File  menu. Additionally, Word resets many settings that you customize in the Options  dialog box.

To delete the Word Data registry key, follow these steps:

1. Exit all Office programs.
  2. Click  Start , click  Run , type regedit, and then click  OK.
  3. Locate the following registry subkey, as appropriate for the version of Word that you are running:
  4. Word 2002:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft \Office\10.0\Word\Data

1. Word 2003:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\ Office\11.0\Word\Data

1. Word 2007:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\ Office\12.0\Word\Data

1. Word 2013

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\ Office\15.0\Word\Data

1. Click  Data , and then click  Export on the  File
  2. Name the file Wddata.reg, and then save the file to the desktop.
  3. Click  Delete the folder “ Data ” on the  Edit  menu, and then click  Yes.
  4. Exit Registry Editor.
  5. Start Word.

If Word starts and works correctly, you have resolved the problem. The problem was a damaged Word Data registry key. You may have to change several settings to restore your favorite options in Word.

If the problem is not resolved, restore the original Word Data registry key. Then, see the “Delete the Word Options registry key” topic.

To restore the original Word Data registry key, follow these steps:

1. Exit all Office programs.
  2. Double-click the  reg icon on the desktop.
  3. Click  Yes , and then click  OK.

Step 2 :

Go into Word, Options, Advanced, Display, and click " disable hardware graphics acceleration".   Solves the EndNote addin problem.

Step 3:

Open your Word software go to EndNote tab -> Make “Instant Formating is Off”

Step 4:

Open your Word software go to EndNote tab -> preferences -> General Tab-> Unmark “Scan for temporary citations every 30 secons” and Unmark “Check for citation changes”- Tutorial By : HackGen Email : hackgen10@gmail.com

I have the exact same problem, same versions, not a slow computer either. Just changing a reference from default format to author (date) takes more than 10 (!) seconds.

HackGen’s solution did not work for me. But I’ve noticed that the time increases the more references I have in a document. Starting a new document, the references can be added or formatted in an instant. But writing a thesis has become a real pain!

Has anyone found a solution yet?

I have the exact same problem, same versions, not a slow computer either. Just changing a reference from standard format to author (date) takes 10 (!) seconds.

HackGen’s solution did not work for me, neither did Leanne’s solution in the link provided by chris_weinert.

I did notice though that it workss fine if I open a new document and start with only one reference. That’s fast. But writing a thesis is a pain and no copying back and forth solves the issue… For now I’ve turned instant formatting off, but that still leaves the waiting times when adding a new reference or changing the format.

Has anyone found a solution?