Endnote toolbar missing!

Hello - I wonder if anyone can help? I am running EndnoteX2 on Windows 2007. I have just opened up Word and the Endnote toolbar has disappeared!

I have tried all the suggestions I have found online (Repairing Endnote and the suggestion below) to no avail!
Any ideas?!

Thanks!

Sarah

EndNote X2 and X3:

The simplest way to get the tools to appear in Word 2000/XP/2003 is to run the “Repair” function by selecting EndNote X2 or X3 in the Add/Remove Programs (Programs and Features in Vista) in the Windows Control Panel. Choose “Change” then select “Repair”. Click Next on each of these screens until the process finishes.

As an alternate method to installing the EndNote X1 or later tools, you can do the following:

1. Open a command line as follows:

Windows XP or 2000: Go to the start menu, choose “Run” and type:
    CMD
    Click OK.

Windows Vista: Go to the start menu. In the search box here, type:
    CMD
    Hold down SHIFT and CTRL and hit the Enter Key.
    You will be prompted to approve the "Windows Command Processor."
    Choose “Continue”

2. At the prompt, do the following:

CD “C:\Program Files\Common Files\Thomson ResearchSoft\Cwyw”

For EndNote X2 type:

CD “C:\Program Files\Common Files\ResearchSoft\Cwyw\12”

Note that if you have common files installed in a different location, you would need to find this CWYW folder in that other location.

From this location, enter the command:

regsvr32 “EndNote Cwyw.dll”

For EndNote X3 type:

CD “C:\Program Files\Common Files\ResearchSoft\Cwyw\13”

Note that if you have common files installed in a different location, you would need to find this CWYW folder in that other location.

regsvr32 “EndNote Cwyw.dll”

Word 2007

EndNote X1

The simplest way to get the tools to appear in Word 2007 is to run the Configure EndNote Utility from the EndNote Start Menu or the EndNote X1 Program Files folder. Once you run the utility, make sure “Configure EndNote components for me” is selected and click Next. Select the “Unified Cite While you Write for the Microsoft Word” and the “Set EndNote as default reference manager for Word 2007” options and click Next. Click Finish when you are done.

EndNote X2

The simplest way to get the tools to appear in Word 2007 is to run the “Repair” function by selecting EndNote X2 in the Add/Remove Programs (Programs and Features in Vista) in the Windows Control Panel. Choose “Change” then select “Repair”. Click Next on each of these screens until the process finishes.

As an alternate method to installing the EndNote X1 or X2 tools in Word 2007, you can do the following:  

1. Open a command line as follows:

Windows XP or 2000: Go to the start menu, choose "Run" and type:
    CMD
    Click OK.

Windows Vista: Go to the start menu. In the search box here, type:
    CMD
    Hold down SHIFT and CTRL and hit the Enter Key.
    You will be prompted to approve the "Windows Command Processor."
    Choose "Continue"

2. At the prompt, do the following:

For EndNote X1 type:

CD "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Thomson ResearchSoft\Cwyw"

For EndNote X2 type:

CD "C:\Program Files\Common Files\ResearchSoft\Cwyw\12"

regsvr32 "EndNote Cwyw.dll"

For EndNote X3 type:

CD "C:\Program Files\Common Files\ResearchSoft\Cwyw\13"

regsvr32 "EndNote Cwyw.dll"

Looks like you’ve tried everything but just curious -  have you checked Word’s “Add-ins” applications feature in MS Word to identify if the EndNote apps are active or inactive.  (Click the Microsoft Office button, then click “Word Options” then “Add-Ins”.) Also check the “Trust Center” setting tor Add-ins to re-check that the “Disable all application add-ins” is de-selected.

Hey - thanks very much for getting back to me!
I checked the Trust Center settings and “Disable all application add-ins” is de-selected.

When I go into Add-Inns, EndNote is listed under ‘Inactive Application Add-ins’.

If I then select ‘Word Add-ins’ fromt he Manage: drop down at the bottom of the window, in the Global Templates and Add-Ins tab which comes up, Endnote is in there but unchecked. If I check it and then click ok, and then go back into Add-ins, End Note now appeats in the ‘Active Application Add-ins’ list - but the endnote tab/toolbar is still not there!

I get a security warning saying Macros have been disabled - is it something to do with that? Should I enable all Macros in the trust centre, or is that dangerous?!
Any further advice greatly appreciated!
Sarah

Thanks for checking the Add-Ins and Trust Center settings.   The macro warning is probably due to the Endnote add-ins/tools being disabled. 

While you were looking at the “Add-ins” screen, did you notice whether there were several  Endnote add-ins listed under “Inactive Application Add ins”?  In the Active Application, there will be 3 listed (Cite While You Write, EndNote Cwyw.dotm, and EndNote Cwyw Citation Recognizer). - and these are the ones that need to be reactivated. 

To activate an inactive add-in, click to select it, then click the “GO” button at the bottom of the screen.  A pop-up window should appear and select any EndNote or CWYW listed, then click OK.

When you’re done, close MS Word and restart the application. 

1 Like

Hooray! This worked!

I had tried what you suggested previously, but I had not selected ‘Deactivated Items’ from the drop down menu next to the ‘Go’ button.

Thanks so so much - really appreciate your help!

Hopefully I can now meet my deadline (which is tomorrow!)

Have a great week.

Thanks again.

Sarah

I had this problem on Windows 7 64 bit, with the EndNote X3 toolbar disappearing from OpenOffice Writer when I upgraded.  Running the ‘Repair’ feature didn’t help.  However, I found an OpenOffice extension file in “C:\Program Files\Common Files\ResearchSoft\Cwyw\13”, and used OpenOffice to install that.  All sorted now.

Hi this is Harish,

Endnote tool bar is missing from my Office 365 word. I checked in the Add-ins also, but there is no any end note under the inactive add-ins section.

Please help me in this regard to resolve the problem.

Thank you…

Mac or PC?  –

If office 354 Mac –  word 2016 is not yet supported by endnote X7  – http://endnote.com/kb/136020 

If windows Word 2013  http://endnote.com/kb/82599 if they used to be there.  and http://endnote.com/kb/83058 if they were never there.  

if windows word 2016 (not yet released but very soon) – that isn’t supported yet either.