I am using Endnote X4 with Windows 7 and Word 2002. Last week I dropped a glass of water on the keyboard of my laptop while word was running. I sent the laptop to the technician to check it and everything is working fine now apart from endnote and Word connection. Basically the Endnote toolbar disappeared from word, so no cwyw
I tried reentering it from “View”, then “toolbars” but it wasn’t there.
I tried repairing, modifying and finally uninstalling and reinstalling the program from my original file (with endnote and word programs closed), still no chance.
I also included a restart of my computer after completed each of these steps.
If anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated. I feel helpless at the moment because I have tried so many things and nothing has solved the problem. I am in the middle of writing my dissertation and I also have a research paper to publish…
There may be a compatibility issue with running EndNote X4 with Word 2002. Per Thomson Reuters’ chart, CWYW is not supported for Word 2002 (see here for chart). You should upgrade your MS Word/Office software.
Thank you very much for your prompt answer! I will try upgrading the MS office and I hope this will solve the problem.
I don’t understand though how I was able to work so far (6 months now) with Word 2002 without any problem if there are compatibility issues between the version of word and endnote…
I tried everything that you suggested - I cleaned my registry with regedit and ccleaner, then reinstalled endnote. It didn’t work either.
However, I had a demo version of Office 2010 which I installed on my computer and finally Endnote works with it!!! what a relief! I can continue writing my thesis
Before I abandon this version of office completely, I also think of uninstalling and reinstalling the old version of Office XP that I have been working so far with, just to check if this would solve the problem because I am curious to find out if some stupid damage has only caused this problem (I already did a repair and modification w/o a restart of computer which hasn’t given the solution) . Would this action though cause any damage to my office files which are set to open with office XP though???
thank you very much for sharing your experience! Office 2010 that I switched to is a demo version for 60 days so I will need to get new permanent office soon. I hope it only interferes with the work flow and doesn’t bring about compatibility issues and changes in my office files… i am worrying a bit about that.
Do you know if it is safe to unistall and reinstall of Office XP while having my files opening with Office XP? Is this what you mean by tech support?
Before I abandon this version of office completely, I also think of uninstalling and reinstalling the old version of Office XP that I have been working so far with, just to check if this would solve the problem because I am curious to find out if some stupid damage has only caused this problem (I already did a repair and modification w/o a restart of computer which hasn’t given the solution) . Would this action though cause any damage to my office files which are set to open with office XP though???
It’s not a good idea to uninstall/reinstall an older version of the same program once a newer version has been installed. It may, however, be possible (although not advisable) to have both programs on the same computer but you’ll need to uninstall both programs then re-install in the following order/procedure:
1. Backup all important document files (including email) as a precaution before proceeding.
First uninstall the “last on-board” program (Office 2010); restart the computer, then clear-out the registry to remove any remaining folders/files associated with Office 2010.
Next, uninstall Office XP; restart the computer, then clear-out the registry to remove any folders/files associated with Office XP. Restart the computer, then install Office XP first; restart the machine. You can check your files at this point.
Whatever the outcome, to ensure the optimal conditions for working/running EndNote X4, it’s still highly advised to upgrade to Office 2010. (Which means uninstalling Office XP, restarting, clearing out the registry before installing Office 2010.)
Office 2010 will open documents created in Office XP although there might be some minor formatting changes due to the conversion.