EndNote X4/5 and Word 2011

Hi,

I’ve installed Word 2011 and neither EndNote X4 nor X5 are integrating with it. As another user noted in another thread, “I already tried the most obvious solutions:”

1. Set the right startup folder in Word 2011

2. Update Mac OSX and Word 2011

3. Manually copy the bundle to the Word startup folder

4. Checking the Templates and Add-ins in Word 2011 → the bundle is loaded and running (yet doesn’t show up)

5. Restart computer.

6. Reinstall the bundle via the Endnote Customizer… function.

However, none of these options have worked, and neither has his final solution of installing Word 2011 again.

What other options do I have?

Alfonso

Greetings Alfonso,

Here are a couple of related points to check-

*  Designated Word startup folder *

1.  In Word 2011, click “Edit>Preferences”.

2.  Go to the “File Locations” tab and let me know the exact path listed next to “Startup”.

*  Templates and Add-ins *

1.  In Word, go to “Tools>Templates and Add-ins”.

2.  Beneath the phrase “Checked items are currently loaded”, what is listed on the window?  Which items are checked automatically?

Please let me know what you find, as this information would help me troubleshoot your issue further.

Please let me know if this helps.

Best Regards,
Jimmy M.
Customer Technical Support Representative Scientific
Thomson Reuters
Phone: +1 800 336 4474
ResearchSoft Product Support
thomsonreuters.com

I suppose you mean

“Word > Preferences”… ?

The route is: 硬盘[name of my hard drive]:Applications:Microsoft Office 2011:Office:Startup:Word:

Under templates and add-ins, there is one checked item: the EndNote CWYW Word 2011.bundle with the path leading to the Word 2011 Startup folder. The same item is also there but unchecked and with the path leading to the original file in the EndNote folder.

I should note that when I posted my first message I hadn’t tried to use the “customize…” with ENX5. Unlike under ENX4, now the function does realise that the CWYW is not active and it is unchecked. However, if I check it and ask ENX5 to reconfigure Word, it carries out the operation but with no changes in Word. Then, the same menu shows the CWYW component still unchcked.

Cheers,

Alfonso

Greetings Alfonso,

Good catch- sorry for the confusion in step two of my instructions.  At this point, your Word installation seems to be looking at the correct folder for startup items.  If the EndNote CWYW Word 2011.bundle add-in file exists within that designated Word startup folder, it should know where to load the EndNote CWYW Commands.dot and EndNote Web CWYW Commands.dot files from the EndNote folder that is created under your user account’s “Application Support” folder.  

The following steps usually aren’t required, but since the tools aren’t loading properly, this would be a good test to see where the disconnect exists.  To start-

1.  Quit all Office programs.

2.  Quit EndNote.

3.  Browse to the following folder-

<Macintosh HD : Users : [Your Home folder] : Library : Application Support : EndNote>

4.  Within the EndNote folder, highlight and copy the following files-

a.  EndNote CWYW Commands.dot

b   EndNote Web CWYW Commands.dot

5.  Once the two files have been copied, navigate to the following folder-

<Macintosh HD : Applications : Microsoft Office 2011 : Office : Startup : Word>

6.  Click “Edit>Paste Items” to add the two copied files to your Word startup folder.

7.  Open a blank Word document.

8.  In Word, click “Tools>Templates and Add-ins”.

9.  Verify all three EndNote add-ins are listed here and that the “EndNote CWYW Commands.dot” and “EndNote CWYW Word 2011.bundle” files are checked.

10.  If this looks good, click “OK” on the Templates and Add-ins window, then check to see if you can find “EndNote X5” at the top of your “Tools” menu.

Please let me know what you find. 

Best Regards,
Jimmy M.
Thomson Reuters
thomsonreuters.com

I did as you said; however, the files did not appear automatically in the Template and Add-ins list.

I added them one by one and checked them. I hit OK and then could see the ENX4 toolbar… I uninstalled ENX4 (dragged & dropped to the bin) before installing ENX5, so I don’t know how this happened.

I tried to use the commands anyway. For anything I clicked on, I received a message stating: “This command is not available because a document window is not active.”

Come to think of it, this is something I had tried before (adding .dot files manually) with EndNote X4 when this problem first started.

What next?

Cheers,

Alfonso

Hi,

I’m afraid the problem hasn’t gone away. Any clues on how to proceed from here?

Best regards,

Alfonso

Greetings Alfonso,

I’ve converted your forum post into an email case for Technical Support .  If you don’t see this email message, please let me know.

Best Regards,
Jimmy M.
Thomson Reuters
thomsonreuters.com

Dear Jimmy, I’m suffering from similar problems when trying to get EndNote x5 to be integrated in Word 2011. I tried to follow your steps, but get stuck at step 4:

4.  Within the EndNote folder, highlight and copy the following files-

a.  EndNote CWYW Commands.dot

b   EndNote Web CWYW Commands.dot

These files are missing in my folder. How can this be?

I am also having similar problems (X5, Word 2011, Mac 10.5.8). I have copied the various files mentioned above to the designated folders. I receive a “Word could not fire event” notification on starting Word 2011. I can browser between X5 and Word 2011 by clicking on the “Go To Word” icon, or from the Word 2011 >Tools>Endnote X5 icons. However, if I try and format my document or insert a citation I recieve the message “This command is not available because a document window is not active”. 

Any hints?

Brent.

Hello, Mauritsvzb:

Do you have the EndNote CWYW Word 2011.bundle file? Try copying this instead and pasting that to the startup folder as Jimmy described.

If this still does not help, I suggest opening a support case with us for one on one troubleshooting.

http://endnote.com/support/entechform.asp

Have a great day!

Hello, BPC:

What you’re describing is actually a completely separate issue. The “Word could not fire event” error means that your Microsoft Word 2011 program was installed without Visual Basic components. This will cause any plugins, including EndNote’s to fail to load, and you will get that error.

Please reinstall your Word program, being certain to include Visual Basic in the options.You can learn more on our Knowledge Base article on this topic here:

http://help.thomson.com/default.asp?portalid=TSC&article=117573