Endnote X4 and Word 2007 on Win 7 really slow

I was just about to buy Endnote. Bit I have changed my mind. I was working with it at work as we have a licence to unlimited number of copies. Endnote X4 is flexible in terms of creating your own citation styles, yes. However, the way it works, the thing it FREEZES both Word and Endnote for 2 mins is just for me too much.

I don’t know how about you but I expect any software to work in swift. When I have a deadline and I actually have to wait 2 mins for any minor change is simply not ACCEPTABLE. It’s too stressful.

I don’t really understand the way Endnote X4 work. I had an opportunity to work with other “free” software such as Mendeley, Zetero etc. and I must admit from my perspective they simply provide with the same service of service which I need. I am not saying they are better, NO but they do their job quite all right with refreshing taking 2 secs.

That’s much better, so now? No I am not into it yet unless I can see significant improvement.

If I saw a practical alternative I would try it. I look for an alternative roughly every year or so. What I’ve seen seems like even more trouble.

Curious note about my experience with Endnote. I’ve used it during several relatively short periods over the last eight years. They were frustrating and stressful but the job got done.

Then there are two experiences on a much large scale… master’s thesis in 2006, and now currently phd dissertation.

The curious and even bizarre thing is that in 2006 Endnote was doing exactly the same kinds of things we are discussing here… How many versions ago was that? Have I just been unlucky and experienced the two times when Endnote became buggy, or is this just what we should adjust our expectations too?:slight_smile:

Thanks,

Noah

Hi guys,

I am having an issue with the EndNote’s  Ibid.

Generally speaking, my Endnote (version X2) handles the Ibid. well, in the sense that the Ibid.  shows up when it should. However, the Ibid. comes up even in the middle of the sentences, which is where the issue lies. For example:

paragraph

Bla bla bla bla.[1] Bla bla bla bla bla. [2]

[1] See Smith, 1996, p.25.

[2] The document is mentioned by Ibid. , which the reader should refer to for the bibliography relating to this aspect.

Obviously, I can’t have Ibid. popping up in the middle of the sentence, as I need there to be Smith, 1996, p.25. Is there a way to tell EndNote not to use Ibid if the bibliographical reference is in the middle of the sentence? Because the Ibid. is fine if it stands alone in the footnote, or if it is followed by a sentence, but it evidently is  not ok if it is in the middle of a sentence! Is there a solution to this issue?

Thanks for your help!

Regards.

I got to solve this problem in Window 7 64-bit to EndNote 7 and 7.1**.**

Follow my tutorial and solve your problem too.

Step 1:

Delete the Word Data registry key

Most of the frequently used options in Word are stored in the Word Data registry key. A common troubleshooting step is to delete the Word Data registry key. The next time that you start Word, Word rebuilds the Word Data registry key by using the default settings.

To view these options in Word 2002 or Word 2003, click  Options  on the  Tools menu.

To view these options in Word 2007, click the Microsoft Office Button, and then click  Word Options.

Note  When you delete the Word Data registry key, Word resets several options to their default settings. One such option is the “most recently used file” list on the File  menu. Additionally, Word resets many settings that you customize in the Options  dialog box.

To delete the Word Data registry key, follow these steps:

1. Exit all Office programs.
  2. Click  Start , click  Run , type regedit, and then click  OK.
  3. Locate the following registry subkey, as appropriate for the version of Word that you are running:
  4. Word 2002:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft \Office\10.0\Word\Data

1. Word 2003:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\ Office\11.0\Word\Data

1. Word 2007:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\ Office\12.0\Word\Data

1. Word 2013

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\ Office\15.0\Word\Data

1. Click  Data , and then click  Export on the  File
  2. Name the file Wddata.reg, and then save the file to the desktop.
  3. Click  Delete the folder “ Data ” on the  Edit  menu, and then click  Yes.
  4. Exit Registry Editor.
  5. Start Word.

If Word starts and works correctly, you have resolved the problem. The problem was a damaged Word Data registry key. You may have to change several settings to restore your favorite options in Word.

If the problem is not resolved, restore the original Word Data registry key. Then, see the “Delete the Word Options registry key” topic.

To restore the original Word Data registry key, follow these steps:

1. Exit all Office programs.
  2. Double-click the  reg icon on the desktop.
  3. Click  Yes , and then click  OK.

Step 2 :

Go into Word, Options, Advanced, Display, and click " disable hardware graphics acceleration".   Solves the EndNote addin problem.

Step 3:

Open your Word software go to EndNote tab -> Make “Instant Formating is Off”

Step 4:

Open your Word software go to EndNote tab -> preferences -> General Tab-> Unmark “Scan for temporary citations every 30 secons” and Unmark “Check for citation changes”- Tutorial By : HackGen Email : hackgen10@gmail.com