EndNote X7 hangs on pdf import

I upgraded EndNote from X5 to X7 yesterday but cannot get it to import PDFs. It flashes ‘connecting’ then hangs. I am using a PC with Windows 7 Pro.

I have tried:

uninstalling X7 and my older version X5, rebooting, then resinstalling X7;

changing my default browser from firefox, to chrome, to internet explorer;

disabling virus software.

None of these made any difference.

The test PDF I am trying to import (with default settings) is readable and has a DOI that works on crossref.org.

Problem Event Name: AppHangB1
Application Name: EndNote.exe
Application Version: 17.1.0.7705
Application Timestamp: 53148210
Hang Signature: f656
Hang Type: 0

@janene wrote:

I upgraded EndNote from X5 to X7 yesterday but cannot get it to import PDFs. It flashes ‘connecting’ then hangs. I am using a PC with Windows 7 Pro.

I have tried:

uninstalling X7 and my older version X5, rebooting, then resinstalling X7;

changing my default browser from firefox, to chrome, to internet explorer;

disabling virus software.

None of these made any difference.

The test PDF I am trying to import (with default settings) is readable and has a DOI that works on crossref.org.

Problem Event Name: AppHangB1
Application Name: EndNote.exe
Application Version: 17.1.0.7705
Application Timestamp: 53148210
Hang Signature: f656
Hang Type: 0

Me again. I would really like some help on this one, but I am thinking it is not likely given that looking back through this forum I found someone from Jan 2014 and July 2013 reporting the same thing with no helpful answer.

I downloaded the test guaranteed-to-work PDF called something like London 2010 autoimport.pdf  - can’t import it. EndNote says “connecting to host” and then hangs.

I tried running fiddlercap to check what was happening with the internet access. I assumed we were trying to get to crossref.org to look up the DOI, but instead the traffic is firstly to host downloadDOTendnoteDOTcom with path updates/17.0/EN17WinUpdates.xml and then to host wwwDOTncbiDOTnlmDOTnihDOTgov with path About/disclaimer.html

That’s where we stop.

Could you provide the URL location of this pdf so others may test importing the file?

Also how are you importing the pdf:

1.As a single file (go to the toolbar and select  File > Import > File); or

2.As a folder (go to the toolbar and select  File > Import > Folder)?

For either case what are your settings for Import File, Import Folder, and Import Options?

It is not the file. The one I am using is recommended for troubleshooting pdf imports, as per this page in the knowledgebase

kbportal.thomson.com/display/2/searchDirect/index.aspx?searchstring=troubleshooting+pdf&searchtype=2&searchby=keywords&Catid=&SubCatid=&att=363&remotesite=&search=

I am testing by importing a single file with the default options - import pdf, discard duplicates, no translation

The problem seems to be looking up the DOI online, but there is nothing wrong with my internet connection.

Thanks. I was able to successfully import the pdf into EndNote X7.

Besides checking your security program have you also lowered your firewall settings? Are you on a network – if so check with your network administrator to enable communication to/from CrossRef.

Otherwise suggest you:  

Contact Technical Support

Tel: +1-800-336-4474, press 4 Submit a technical support request to contact the Technical Support Team

Technical Support 9AM – 8PM Eastern, GMT – 5 Monday – Friday

I found a workaround! I logged in as admin instead of as a standard user on my PC and found the test file import worked. I then gave my user account admin privileges, but the import didn’t work. So I shared my folders with the admin user, logged in as that again, and have successfully imported my 40 PDFs. I have no idea what restriction on my personal account caused this problem. But it is fixed now