endnote X7 on mac does not clear previous online search

Hi,

I run endnote x7 on mac os 10.9.1.   I found that endnote X7 on my mac does not clear previous online search.

When I search publications via pubmed in online search one key word, and 10 references were retrieved. When I searched with another key word and retrieve 8 references, there would be 18 references in the pubmed list. 

I found that the previous 10 references would be cleared on the windows version, and only current 8 references listed in the pubmed list. How could this also work on my mac.  

Is there any solution? or I run endnote x7 on mac os in a wrong way? 

thanks~

Greetings,

Based on your description of events, it sounds like you’re using what’s known as ‘Integrated Library and Online Search’ mode when performing a PubMed search with your Mac version of EndNote X7.  With this particular mode selected, any search results are automatically added to your EndNote library.  For more information regarding EndNote’s search modes, please take a look at the following knowledgebase article:

http://endnote.com/kb/82211

If my first suspicion is not correct, and you are working in “Online Search Mode (Temporary Library)”, after performing your second search you must check the box for “Clear currently displayed results before retrieving records” option.  This option is found on the “Confirm Online Search” dialog window.

Please let me know if this helps. 

Best Regards,
Jimmy M.
Customer Technical Support Representative
Thomson Reuters
Phone: +1 800 336 4474
ResearchSoft Product Support
thomsonreuters.com

JimmyM,

Even in Windows, this does not work as you described.  With the tick box selected, the search is not cleared, only the displayed matches are removed from this list – and if there are overlapping matches, in a subsequent search, they don’t show up.  They are still in the “online references” group (which is not emptied) and so are not returned.  To find them, you need to repeat the seach after selecting the “online references” group.  

Greetings Leanne,

I just used my Windows version of EndNote X7.0.2 to perform a PubMed search for Title contains ‘Lucid Dreaming’ and 23 matching references come into my Online Search Mode (Temporary Library) view.  Next, I perform a sample search for Title contains ‘Halloween gene’, found five matching references and left the “Clear currently displayed results before retrieving records” checked.  All previous search results from my first search are cleared before the new results come in and the temporary PubMed (NLM) listing in the Groups panel gets cleared as well.  The clearing of the temporary PubMed (NLM) Groups panel listing occurred when I performed the same PubMed searches from the Integrated Library & Online Search mode.  The action I’m describing would not clear the search term(s), only the search results.

Best Regards,
Jimmy M.
Thomson Reuters
thomsonreuters.com

But that is because Halloween gene was not in any of the records that matched  ‘Lucid Dreaming’.  

If you repeat the first search and now search for ‘Nightmares’ 378 matches are found, but only 370 are retrieved, because 8 of them were already in the first set of records.  This is very confusing for people running the second search.  

as an aside, – strangely, searching the search results only finds 374 of them.  Not sure why.  

Thanks so much for the clariification, Leanne.  I was able to reproduce exactly what you said by doing a PubMed Title contains search for Dreaming, then a second Title contains search for Lucid dreaming.  I’ll make sure this is known behavior and confirm whether or not it’s intentional.

Best Regards,
Jimmy M.
Thomson Reuters
thomsonreuters.com