EndNote X8.2 build 13302 fails to import references

EndNote X8.2 in online mode will find references, and returns the number of matches, but fails to import references. I contacted support, was told to restart EndNote and/or my computer - but that did not fix the problem. This problems happens with all libraries, even new ones, no matter where the libraries are stored.

I am running MacOS 10.13.3, and I am really frustrated that EndNote is not working, and that I can’t get any help.

If you haven’t done so already, please try these steps:


I have the same problem: since i updated my EndNote, i cant see the reference after i made a search in the online modus. It can retrieve my search but does not appear in any of the library.

I did what is advised above, but it does not work…

you see it in the search?  You need to copy it to the library, unless you are using the library/search combined mode (the next button over from “search online”, which is just a globe.  It lookes like a globe in a folder.)  If you are using the globe in a folder, you will want to make sure your preferences are set to “discard” duplicates, so you don’t retrieve records that are already in your library by mistake

( Note to Developers!  – which only works for some reason, if you ARE using the combined search and retrieve into library mode.  Wish that affected trying to copy something already in your library - from the “search online” mode!)  

I have the same probelm and your solution does not work. Waht next to do?

Then my suggestion would be to contact Technical Support directly.

1-800-336-4474 option 4 then 1 or


Had the same problem already twice.

Reinstalling Endnote X8 (and afterwards the 8.2 Update) works.

But it is really frustrating!


I have the same probelm and your solution does not work. Waht next to do?

I have the same problem.

I have the same problem. The Admin recs don’t address the problem.

Hi everyone,

I had the same and a lot of other problems with every version since Endnote X8 and newer versions got released! If it wouldn’t be the university that paid for the program I would never use it anyway. 

The problem I expienced after every update is, that it changes the folder location to a strange default, somewhere in the original document folder every mac has. 

If you redirect the folders location in the preferences to the actual endnote folder within the applications (for style, filter, and connection folder) all the problems are resolved and endnote again works (more or less) like a charm.

See uploaded screenshot for the necessary directories (at leas on my mac).

Hope this helps some of you!





I’ve been having problems importing and had no idea how to fix it. It probably doesn’t help that I’m a new Mac user. I just checked and my Endnote had redirected the folders to a different location. I changed the folders back to applications, as you had shown, and now it works. Thank you so much for posting your fix, and for including the image of the folder preferences!

I had the same problem. I was able to conquer this problem by downgrading EndNote X8.2 back to X8.

I had the same problem. I was able to solve it by downgrading EndNote Mac X8.2 down to X8.

Always glad to help :smiley:


but I keep having either one of two problems with X8.2, either a nice failure to retrieve sequences after a Pubmed search or an even nicer silence (not even a message). I have put settings to default or changed them as suggested below but nothing really works. After twenty unfruitful searches, I may be able to get one time in which the search works…

If endnote were free, this would be acceptable.

Having same issues. Frustrated now. A pubmed search would give 20, 40 or 60 results and then show error. i have tried what you suggested. running x8.2 13302 on macos 10.14.1. thanks 

Try this:

Edit > Connection files > edit "pubmed (NLM)

Under connection settings, untick “batch download”, and try again.

This does not mean that you will not see the message again, but it is much less (instead of 40 -60 refs, you should get around 400).

No evidence, but a feeling that the connection is timing out for the batch download. Might seem silly, but it appears to work for me (at home and at the Uni).



PubMed edit 1.jpg

Forgot to say that you have to restart EndNote.

Also some further testing: Mac on wired and wireless will have this issue, Windows wired or wireless does not. Note that for the wireless testing, the hardware was the same (bootcamp).\



This does not work on my computer.