ENS from previous versions

Hi – I have just upgraded from Endnote 6. Are the style files from that version compatible with the newer versions? If not, can they be converted?

Thanks,

Philip Smith

I am pretty sure they are compatible.  I have old styles from those days that I still use.  If you edit them and save them, I don’t think they are backward comptible with EN6 thought.

Thanks for that. When I use ‘Edit > Preferences > Folder Locations > Style Folder’ to point Endnote to the subfolder with my old styles and then open the Styles Manager, it says “Your Styles folder does not contain any styles. Please select a new Styles folder.”

I discovered that the old styles do work if they are copied into Endnote’s Style folder, but I would rather keep them separate.

Endnote does not seem to see the old styles if they are in another folder, whether it is a subfolder of ‘Styles’ or of the ‘EndNote9’ folder.

Any suggestions welcome!

(I’m using Endnote 9 on Windows 7 Pro)

Philip

In version EN9, only one folder is accessed as the output styles folder at a time.  The only way you can keep them separate, would be to change the preferences (Edit>Preferences>Folder locations) to point to the EN6 styles folder when you want to use those, and switch back to the EN9 output folder when you want to use those (added in later edit, but I note you say that didn’t work?).  Even in newer versions of EN where there are two folders that are accessed for style, EN doesn’t “separate” them when you see them in a list.  Their location is invisible to you from the program, unless you rename the styles to include a version ID, for example, CellEN6.ens

In particular, you can not navigate to other folders from the styles dropdown (I don’t thnk, it is hard to remember all the way back to EN9). 

Thanks for your help Leanne. I was assuming I could use only one style folder at a time, but it seems with my setup EN9 only ‘sees’ styles when they are in the default Style folder, which is strange. I think I’ll have to rename my custom style files as you suggest to distinguish them from the supplied ones.

Thanks,

Phililp