"Exclude year" leaves blank space behind author

Hi,

I frequently use in-text citations only quoting the author by using the “exclude year” function. Unfortunately that leaves me a blank space behind the author (which I do not want, e.g. if its at the end of a sentence). Example:

“he repeats the argument, which has already been made by SMITH.”

Using Endnote for SMITH gives me

“he repeats the argument, which has already been made by SMITH .”

is there a way to remove that blank space? The citation template is simply “author year”.

best, Thilo

P.S. I’m using EndNote X2 with Word 2007

Message Edited by thilo on 08-30-2009 10:55 AM

What kind of space between the author and year in the citation template?

There are two types of space, one is regular space appears like a dot in the citation template, another is link adjacent space which appears like a small diamond shape symbol.

If you find one type, changing to another would work.

I’ve tried that but unfortunately neither changes the result. The unformatted citation in Word looks always like this:

{SMITH,…#129} (where … are two spaces). Removing those manually is changed back after next formatting by Endnote.

Myoshigi is referring to the citation template in your edited  output style.  It is there that you should ensure that there is a “link-adjacent” symbol inserted from the “insert field” button.  So I guess since you have jetisoned the parentheses, it should look something like this: 

Author|,*YEAR|

with the * being the link-adjacent and the |, being “force separation”.  this means if you delete the year, the puctuation and space won’t show either.

Thanks Leanne,

I understood what Myoshigi meant, unfortunately it didn’t do the trick. But using both, the lin-adjacent space and forced seperations works fine!

Unfortunately now I got a blank space before citations excluding the author:

Example: “As Lawrence ( 2005) notes”

Interestingly this does not happen if I put the citation template in brackets (which I don’t want to do for sometimes I don’t need brackets).

How about exclude both author and year, and type it manually?

I have the exact same issue and am wondering if this has been resolved on the forum. Many thanks. Jim P

@thilo wrote:

Unfortunately now I got a blank space before citations excluding the author:

Example: “As Lawrence ( 2005) notes”

Interestingly this does not happen if I put the citation template in brackets (which I don’t want to do for sometimes I don’t need brackets).

Actually, I found that if I format the style thus

Author Year

with no forced separation, then I can get

(1986)

The forced separation creates the space I don’t want:

( 1986)